1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What does the future hold for MLP cons?

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 February 2016.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Wow, I hadn't even registered the anniversary! How time flies...

Obviously it's fairly easy to have special events on a small scale, since you can do that at meet level -- I'm sure there'll be plenty of those when the film comes out next year, for example. But once you get much bigger, things have to be put on a more formal footing, which greatly increases the paperwork, cost and time required. I wonder if something on the scale of the original pre-G4 UK PonyCons, that were essentially collectors' fairs, might have a chance, even so.

2. Sparkler

Sparkler Honorary Pony

Yes, I agree - I think BronyScot has done ever so well with setting themselves up and getting established!
    I definetly won't make it this year, but I'd love to be able to join next year!

I like pony conventions mainly for the "pony" in them too and have never been too fussed with "stars" and the like - although seeing some of them and their panels at BUCK and Galacon was quite enjoyable. But yes, If you are on a smaller budget - I would probably give it a miss and just do the smaller more fandom based cons and enjoy them equally as much. The panels and games are usually super fun and exciting! Going back to my fist pony conventions, I really felt like a kid in a candy store and I loved it!!!
    (Those were obviously UK PonyCons for me ;-))

(Having Peter New buy a mug from my stall at this year's BUCK was still a bit of a thrill though!)

3. Shaunnnnnnnnn

Shaunnnnnnnnn Back from the dead, literally.

Ok so; GBBC

The big question surrounding it is "Is it coming back?" and quite frankly, I really don't know. It went amazingly well to what was expected, from my point of view, and feedback seemed really quite good. It's Twitter reappeared as a flight of fancy from other staff members with my permission, but then they weren't so sure and I recycled the twitter into an account for one of my other, car related, projects. If I do decide to bring it back, the format might be a bit different to what is usually the deal with cons. It's all so uncertain in every regard. The plan with GBBC was always just to fill the BUCK absence for 2015, which it did. Who knows what the future holds for it.

Loganberry likes this.
  4. Shaunnnnnnnnn

Let's bump this thread yeah. It's like 2017 now and stuff, so how does the UK convention landscape look currently?

I happen to have found my old GBBC folder in my GoogleDrive, and having a trawl through it is tempting me to make questionable financial decisions again.

5. Loganberry

UK PonyCon is definitely (well, as far as anything can be definite) returning, and I'm assuming that BronyScot will be returning too. Both in the autumn. That's the lot, now that BUCK is out of the picture for good.

fiddlepony likes this.
  6. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I don't have figures, but BronyScot seems like a growing convention to me. Last year's was very good, and at least felt much bigger than 2015's.

7. Loganberry

Yep, that was the impression I got from afar, too. Plus of course BronyScot got extremely positive feedback as far as I could see. :) Same goes for UKPC, actually: its 2016 iteration also felt like a substantial step up from 2015 in terms of venue, timetable, etc. The big unknown is what will happen this year, with no BUCK.

Cloudane likes this.
  8. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Without knowing where ponycon is being held this year, I can't really see any prospective alternate cons being a thing.
    Interesting about Bronyscot but I read there were issues with its planing/staffing from an internal source.
    GBBC were hinting things on twitter a while back but don't know what came of it.

9. Cloudane

Nothing is perfect, BUCK also had "internal sources" complaining about it. As an attendee I saw no issues, that's the main thing :)

10. Shaunnnnnnnnn

One internal source of the few I have, though I'm not sure how accurate, told me BronyScot's attendance was about 220. The only thing that bums me about it is that it's a one day con on the Saturday, and then a bit of waiting around before the music thing on the Sunday, but I had to drive home before that anyway. I know how difficult doing a multi-day con can be, seeing as we went all out with 2.5 days of GBBC, plus officially organised pre-meet adventures, so I can get why they've been avoiding it.

As director of GBBC, I can tell you that the whole thing is up in the air still. It's mainly a case of seeing if A) People want it back and B) I can put a team together to bring it back. I mean, 200 or so people showed up, we pulled off basically 3 days, we had fun. And it was all funded by myself, and if I brought it back, that would probably happen again. Also fun fact, GBBC planning kicked off in January 2015, and the con was in July 2015, so if it were to come back, we have time to do it.

StarStream and Wonderbolt like this.
  11. daisyd

daisyd Habitual Pony

UK Ponycon is defo happening this year :D I'm still on the committee, despite *almost* stepping down due to my ongoing health issues - but I couldn't, I need something to do with my not-at-all-plentiful free time.

Many things are being discussed right ATM, but PC 2017 is absolutely going to happen.

12. Sparkler

Sparkler Honorary Pony

ha ha, how funny this reads now - but we are currently discussing UK PonyCon 2018 ;-) in our 15th year now^^

Loganberry, daisyd and Mane25 like this.
  13. Starlight Flux

Starlight Flux Code Horse

There is the Griffish Isles that's happening this year that's being run by @HypnoHooves.

While it's a one day convention, that makes it worth while. BronyScot is way too small for me to go up there just for one day. This conversation is closer to where I live, and I only have to book a single day of work.

#113 Starlight Flux, 11 February 2018
    Last edited: 11 February 2018
  14. Cloudane

I do like the one day thing. When there's already a 2-day one I go to (Bronyscot/Rock Nessie) I would've struggled to afford the exorbitant costs of 3 nights in a hotel again (it has to be a hotel and a particular type because reasons). Being only a couple of hours away from Manchester it may actually be possible to commute to this one making it pretty cheap to attend.

I think that's what people were finding with BUCK, particularly with the ticket costs on top. It was absolutely brilliant and absolutely worth it *BUT* it gets harder and harder to justify ~£300-400 a year on a convention.

15. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

With the Leicester meet having its 5th! (im sure @Hurricane or @Nekky can confirm) anniversary soon, and the worcester (I'm also sure @Pigasus could confirm) meet having its 5th too, and the SevernBronies into the Sixth(?) year, and there's what three con type things going on in the uk (Ponycon, Bronyscot, Griffish Isles(?) ) I think in regions its still going strong, (not forgetting Galacon in Germany too).

16. Starlight Flux

Starlight Flux Code Horse

Don't forget Trottinghamshire Bronies 5 year anniversary meetup!

Also are you going to GalaCon this year?

vcgriffin likes this.
  17. Loganberry

I'll never regret going to BUCK, but I do take that point. By 2016, BUCK had by a fair distance the most expensive standard weekend ticket of any pony convention on Earth -- comparing not only with North America, but with Europe, Asia, Australia, everywhere. However many good reasons there were for that, it didn't change the need for attendees to find an awful lot of money.

Yes, it is looking like three conventions in the UK this year. At one point it was going to be four, but the Sparkle Nights website and social media accounts seem to have gone, and in the absence of any actual announcements (that I've seen, anyway) I suppose I have to draw the obvious conclusion.

UK PonyCon, as ever, is a special case given that it's a convention that was around years before G4 existed. It's also now by a long way the country's largest MLP con. The other two this year will be on a rather smaller scale, and I have to say that is probably what specifically brony-focused cons in the UK are going to be now. That's not a criticism at all. It's actually a good thing, as realism is more likely to lead to a successful event, whereas pure idealism is asking for trouble. (You need some idealism anyway, of course. This is Pony we're talking about!)

It does look as if BUCK was an anomaly in UK terms. An awesome anomaly to be sure, but even so. We're simply not America.

18. nathan-wallace

nathan-wallace Habitual Pony

Well i will be going to Griffish isles, i'l let you know how it goes :p unless you will be there...then i dont need to *shrugs* but yea UK can never keep up with the US for cons, we just aint that big xD plus it is prob cheaper to get things like VA's there too.

19. Melgarh

Melgarh Dragon of Czequestria

There are plenty of cons on mainland Europe - EverFree Encore music festival in Germany, Czequestria 2019 likely (our 4th year, last year we've had over 350 attendees, 3 day con :p ) as well as our Winter Kararoke in CZ (7th year in a row!) which attracts about 150 bronies every year =)

Poland is doing well as well and Russia has its own BronyCon of huge size (attendees in thousands!) ;-)