1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What does the future hold for MLP cons?

Discussion in 'Conventions Discussion' started by Loganberry, 10 February 2016.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Wow, really? That's a very impressive number! I had no idea it was that big. We could do with a bit more coverage of that around the fandom.

Anyway, it seems to me that things may calm down a little now the fallout from the end of BronyCon has largely passed. I don't know whether Griffish Isles will return in 2019, though I think there'd be support for it if those operating it felt able to continue. If that, BronyScot and UK PonyCon do all run next year, it will be a pretty solid return nine years into the fandom. :)

Of course, the big question is what happens when G4 has gone for good and G5 is on the way. UK PonyCon is a multi-gen convention anyway, so that particular aspect wouldn't be a problem -- but how would they react if attendances fell back significantly, let's say to the ~370 that attended back in 2014? Obviously a successful con could be run with those numbers, but equally obviously it wouldn't be the same as the UKPCs we have now with more than double that attendance. As with so much else in the con world, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that!

The other two British cons are brony-specific, however, and they might face even bigger challenges. Would they decide that G4 was so much part of their identity that it was time to call it a day? Alternatively, would they try to embrace G5? How would they handle the inevitable (if probably relatively short) gap between the two generations? Once again, I don't have answers to those questions, but any con considering going on past next year will need to be thinking about them. They probably are already, quietly, but still.

2. Melgarh

Melgarh Dragon of Czequestria

Actually Jamis ("CEO" of Czequestria & CZ/SK bronies) was presenting all the convention's he has attended over the past 6 years (from USA to Europe to Russia to Japan) at this year's Galacon and Russian BronyCon is certainly an excellent value of a con. I'm thinking going there as well as we have usually a decently sized travel group of CZ/SK bronies going there. You can get top of the line tickets with some amazing perks for half the price of similar tickets at big "western" cons, plushies are super low cost and high quality as well as the cosplay - which they take to another level with extra role playing and quality (same for Japan - the cosplays at JPPC in 2016 were amazing!!!).

https://rubronycon.ru/en/

To visit Russia you need a Visa (there is a website that helps with that but costs about 100 quid) as well as valid passport with 6 months past-visit expiry date at the very least. And Moscow is safe, as tested by hundreds of thousands of fans from all over the world during World Championship in football.

Extra note: Galacon is running feedback on their con, which includes G5 questions and how it will affect likelihood of attendance if the convention expands to it or not. So hopefully in couple of months we may get the G5 answer as well.

#122 Melgarh, 24 August 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: 24 August 2018
  3. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Can't speak for the Griffish Isles team, but knowing them pretty well and how keen and active they are as bronies I'd take a pure guess at 2019 being more likely than not :)

As for G5, I get the impression that most remaining bronies (notwithstanding the ones who've left over the years over distaste for the changes the show has made in its G4 form, or negative experiences involving other bronies, or combinations thereof) are happy to at least give it a shot. Or the various ones who've lost interest in the show itself but still enjoy the community and still go to the events. I don't think it'd change much at this stage - we're left with the stalwarts nowadays pretty much, and it follows that they're more tolerant towards change.

4. anthony rothstein

I've noticed the opposite.

People who left mostly just got bored and moved on with their lives. People who remain, sure some are up for change, but I think plenty of them are very very awkward and I can easily imagine a lot of them throwing a wobbling about G5 if it's not just perfect for them. I was expecting a lot of the oldguard to come back for the Movie, but none of them did. So I I doubt G5 will make much of a difference either.

I'm gonna give G5 a go for sure.
    I don't see it -saving- the convention scene.
    I'm sure UK PonyCon will continue indefinitely however, they have just announced that this years will be their largest let, which is cool.

5. Cloudane

Certainly there are some who are very nervous after ending up with their emotional wellbeing depending on it (never a good idea) and some still in a very deep amount of denial so yeah there's those too, in my experience though most I've talked with are happy enough with giving it a shot and just hoping it's alright, and a fair few even quite positive about a shake up.

Not sure what happened with the movie, I think for some it was too late as they'd moved on years ago, some wouldn't touch it due to different animation style, etc

6. anthony rothstein

Yeah I think it was a combo of it being too late for many people and they'd have never came back anyway.
    And the movie not really being "mind blowing". (I totally loved it though)

7. Cloudane

I watched it many times :)

Loved all the songs too.

But yeah I think it was a "movie for active MLP fans" really, I'd even go so far as to say a movie for Bronies to some extent as I actually trying to put myself in the mind of a 7 year old struggled to find much they'd see in it. Maybe the fishy dance!

8. Loganberry

They have a stall at UK PonyCon, and their description text on the UKPC website explicitly mentions that they're returning in 2019. So yes, unless something bad happens that con will take place next year. Good news if you ask me, as people I spoke to who went were generally positive about it. (They weren't ecstatic about the split venue, but accepted it was better than just ending the con at 5pm or so.) Elley-Ray seems to have been an excellent choice of VIP guest, too. :)

I'd imagine UKPC will also happen in 2019 barring anything dreadful happening, and probably BronyScot as well. That will be the last year of FiM, though, so from 2020 onwards people will be working in the dark a bit more. I do think people are less hostile to the earlier gens than they were when I was first in this fandom, but G5 is still a bit of an unknown quantity, despite the leaks.

UK PonyCon won't have the "What do we do about G5?" problem as it's always been multi-gen. The other cons (and any new ones that might still pop up) will, and I don't know what they might decide.

#128 Loganberry, 2 September 2018
    Last edited: 2 September 2018
  9. Melgarh

Funnily enough, G5 will actually make convention scene easier to do in one aspect - from what has been "found", the VA's may be European based!

But I do agree with the Movie - I was expecting an avalanche of old & new folks rushing to various social outlets. We've even had a plan it out with other Global Moderators (on CZ/SK forum) to manage the flow but it did not arrive. Instead we've slow but steady stream of newcomers discovering the show and boosting our ranks.

Also our fandom seems to have migrated to Discord platform, as its more convenient than old-style forums as well as lots of non-brony-but-serious-fans are on Facebook groups (mid-hundreds within CZ/SK area). Perhaps this may be the case in UK as well?

10. Loganberry

What, even for English-language cartoons? I'm not sure I'd really want British accents for ponies -- it would sound weird after all these years! :p

To be honest, I hope not, at least not totally. There are plenty of Facebook-based bronies in the UK, and UK of Equestria has a Discord server. But I think it's very important that "old-style forums" continue as well. Why? Because if you're a nervous newcomer to the fandom, it allows you to have a look at what people are saying without actually having to join anything first. Besides, if you're a fanfic writer like me, you need to be able to use Fimfiction, and the community there is 90% forum-like.

Still, I'm getting off-topic now. To return to the future of conventions... I think there will always be MLP conventions somewhere, even if the centre shifts away from the English-speaking world to places like southeast Asia, eastern Europe and China. It's just too big and popular a brand to disappear now. Obviously, personally I'm most interested in the future of cons in the UK, but it would be fascinating if we ever reached a point at which the world's largest Pony convention was in a non-English-speaking country like Russia.

11. anthony rothstein

I have noticed a slow down. Here on the UKofE there doesn't seem to be quite as many posts as a while back.
    And on Bronies UK, the statistics are pretty telling (looking at about a 50% drop off from this time last year in new threads).
    My problem with Discord servers are they're a bit "locked off". They're almost like secret clubs rather than -public- discussion boards such as the UKofE forums and Bronies UK Facebook Group.

Facebook Groups have a few issues as well though. Namely, the community can often become a little split. There's the actual groups, but then people add each other as friends, obviously.
    I've noticed a fair few people join groups, add as many people as a friend as possible, then never actually post in the group, instead they post pony content on their own profile. Obviously that's totally out my hands as an admin, but it's a bit annoying as it kind of leeches off of groups and does have a negative impact. The good side of Facebook though is there's a lot of people over there, as Facebook is used for not just pony related content, you can find people more willing to passively interact in the community, a more causal fan might not go out of their way to sign up to a dedicated forum.

I love the UKofE as it's perfect for long form discussion, but admittedly I think fair few people have had their fill with discussing the show in hyper detail. It's also the best place to host event pages, as you can have all the details and discussion in a very easy to read format and it's publicly available so you can share to others pretty easy. Facebook Events are good in that you can press a button and invite all your friends, but they're also poor in that depending where on the site they're hosted, ie. on a group, you need to be a member of the group to view the event, so it's a bit more restrictive.
    I totally agree with Logan, there's a big importance for old style forums for all sorts of communities, it's a solid alternative to social media and I think the perfect -centre- of the community.

Generally speaking, the artist side of the community is still doing super strong. Just look at Derpyburro, the Equestria Daily art posts, DA or Fur Affinity, there's tons of activity.

That sounds unlikely to be fair. And if it's true, that makes it sound like Hasbro are trying to cut costs and gives me the impression that gen5 will be a very low budget and potentially poor show. Not that EU voice actors aren't as good as Americans, of course they are, but if they outsource the voice acting, it makes you wonder what else they might be outsourcing.

And now the mandatory additional text to make this on topic!

It's going to be super hard to predict how the convention scene is going to be in a few years. I think there's a good chance that it'll continue to die down. With Galacon probably ending by 2020.
    I hope, at least in the UK, we manage to bring back the pub meets we had back in 2012-2014. Both in London and Manchester, they were fantastic events.

Realistically, you only need 30 attendees to make such an event a success, and we can guarantee at LEAST that for the next 10 years I bet you. Pub function room £50-£100, free entry, fund it with a raffle or something similar.
    1-3 vendor stalls. Projector for the show, maybe even squeeze in a musical performance or at the very least karaoke, and we'd be going great.
    Just need to organise these kind of events in further advance, (at least 3 months).

UK PonyCon will obviously continue, and as mentioned, this year is it's largest ever attendance with about 1000 people. That's incredible, obviously we'll have to wait till October to find out which percentage of those people are Bronies and who are families, but it is a great number to hear.

12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Here's another thought that didn't occur to me until recently, and this might make us feel old: the show has been going for long enough now that people young enough to fall within the show's target audience during S1 are now approaching adulthood. Certainly as old as many bronies were at the beginning. Lately I've been noticing not insignificant numbers of comments on pony-related videos etc. from people saying they got in to the show as children, and still remain fans, yet, many of these people appear to have little or no knowledge of the brony fandom, at least as far as I can tell. I wonder how this, if at all, will change the shape of the fandom in years to come - potentially future conventions could be lead by a new (well, different) generation of fans.

I'm not going to second-guess anything about G5 based on the leaks at this stage - for all we know whatever was leaked could have been initial ideas that are scrapped by now. Even for the end of G4, I think in all likelihood it will end after S9 but I'm waiting for the official announcement to be sure... But I am allowing myself to be boldly optimistic about G5 - I think it's a fair bet that Hasbro knows what they're doing by now and are not going to throw away something as successful as G4 without putting some thought into it. What matters to Hasbro though is what the target audience want, I have no idea, but anecdotally I would say G4 seems to be performing well at the moment - in the last year I'm noticing more pony merchandise (clothing, bags, etc.) worn out in public than I can ever remember.

I place quite a bit of the blame on Facebook for any perceived decline in real forums. Posting on Facebook divides the fandom by excluding people who aren't willing to have a Facebook account. That site has destroyed many good online communities and if anything UKofE has got off lightly compared to most forums.

Couldn't you equally say that G4 outsourced the voice acting and animation to Canada? If they're really going for British or Irish VAs then that's likely to be a creative decision, I can't imagine that being a lot cheaper to be honest (though I don't know much about how the industry works). And I really don't see them going to any non-English speaking country for English voice acting.

13. anthony rothstein

Canada is basically America though lol but with more maple syrup. Actually they probably have less maple syrup, I imagine the Americans drink it by the bucket full each morning.. it's just produced in Canada!

14. HypnoHooves

HypnoHooves Well-Known Pony

Meets are fun. We got 3 conventions in the UK this year, and probably next year as well.. The lancashire and manchester meets been in double figures this year, every meet - a good percentage of those attendees missed BUCK and are late comers to the community. We had over 30 for the season 8 premier.

on the ireland question for G5, we should be aware DHX isnt owned by Hasbro, but they do own an irish animation company called Boulder media. They make dangermouse and probably the next mlp movie... So why not use them? keeps the option open to allow a gen overlap with DHX - which reduces risk to the brand. Voice actors from ireland and uk? well for Tax reasons it makes sense,section 481 of the irish tax code gives 32% tax break, which is massive as its off base, not a percentage. But you lose 20% if the actors not in ireland/EAA.

As for maple syrup... i thought trump wanted USA citizens to put hard cheese on their pancakes in the morning... as he wanted to make america GRATE again. :)

15. Melgarh

Whoa, UK Ponycon is going to hit 1000? Poor organizers! :D That's close to BUCK numbers now, wasn't it like 2-3 years ago when it was just 400 max capacity event?

@G5: Yeah Boulder Entertainment, from the *not to be mentioned* sources seems confirmed to be for the production of G5, as it was bought by Hasbro in 2016 (ref.: Investor relations Hasbro) and did produce (Boulder Media at the time) the Lauren Faust's Home for imaginary friends, another hit from the pen of the very same author as was G4 =) So at least part of the team is going to be in Ireland, making it much easier to host some nice guests! =)

Should definitely help with the con scene in Central/Eastern Europe, as we are on low budget (1/3 of salaries than in UK or Germany) and flights from USA and fees for a single guest can result in 50% of entire budget.. which is ridiculous.

16. Loganberry

A little longer than that -- the first UK PonyCon I went to (2014) had an attendance of 500. For a long time I thought it was ~370, but I believe that was the number of tickets sold, and some were family tickets. But yes,1,000 this year, so it's certainly grown a lot in recent years! I'm not sure what BUCK's peak attendance was -- I have 1,400 in my mind, but I'm not sure whether they released an official attendance. (Pony cons in general often seem curiously reluctant to do that compared with, say, furry cons. I'm not sure why.)
    That's another thing that makes UK PonyCon unusual for a largeish con -- it doesn't feature any show guests. There are some well-known community guests (eg EileMonty and Mad Munchkin this year) but not from the Hasbro/DHX side of things. I believe it's a deliberate decision, so I don't expect it to change. On the other hand, the smaller Griffish Isles did have a show guest last year (Elley Ray, aka Mistmane) and by all accounts she was very popular. So every con takes a different approach, which I think is good. :)

17. HypnoHooves

HypnoHooves Well-Known Pony

Each con is different, which is great :)
    most accurate list of attendance is listed here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1smBLl_b-QLSrsiM-O9EMkXaXHHSTe2HwngGUh5GB3Xg/edit#gid=0

#137 HypnoHooves, 18 September 2018
    Last edited: 18 September 2018
  18. Melgarh

Yeah the count of attendees always baffled me.. because you've ticket system you know down to a single person how many you get =) Czequestria has always sold out the capacity of the venue, starting with 250 and now 360 (plus 46 staff & guests).

And Elley does have indeed some super high good feedback, be it from Gala or Griffish Isles, she is as funny and interactive as Tabitha :D