1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. sten whik

sten whik Space

The thing is "want" is actually the negative opposite of "have". To want something is to state that you lack it so to say you don't want it is to state that you already have it. In other words we've all been using want wrong, isn't the English language fun? :p

2. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock wants a dragon boyfriend

No, it isn't, because one can not have something and also not want it. You've totally misdefined 'want'... .

Cendaquenta likes this.
  3. sten whik

sten whik Space

Tis simply how the use has evolved. Want started being given desire when they were originally separate whereas have didn't which muddled the grammar.

4. Cuttleshock

Oh, interesting. But if that's how it's evolved, then that's what it means, tautologically.

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

Pretty much, but the old meaning is still there and in use today (such as in the idiom "for want of") it's just the new meaning is really popular, so much so that if you look on Google Ngram Viewer the use of want has skyrocketed since the 60s.

DerpyWhooves and Cuttleshock like this.
  6. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

I guess 'unwanted' might come close to that meaning, but then it only exists in the past tense - I'd guess it's an Anglo-Saxon word and thus concept, so maybe we can blame them for our want of unwanting.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  7. Cuttleshock

I don't believe this is specific to English by a long shot, though. I can't think of anything in German or Russian which works that way, either.

8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Interesting. Another old definition of want is to need, as in '(something) wants fixing'. It seems that it evolved from lacking => needing => desiring.

There are other ways of expressing desire, like 'would like', so maybe the word you're looking for is 'wouldn't like' in some cases, although that's maybe not strong enough. Maybe you need a word that means having something you don't like, and take the opposite of that.

Anglo-Saxon words are the earliest words in the English language so it's understandable that they'd go through the most changes to complicate things, but that's no bad thing it adds richness.

9. sten whik

sten whik Space

I did not know that you could actually buy this off of Amazon...
    [​IMG]

10. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

In light of the awful events in London yesterday, I find myself weirdly assured by the quickness with which the police responded. Obviously, four innocent people dead is four people too many, but thank goodness it wasn't worse, and thank goodness for the heroism of police and citizens.

11. sten whik

sten whik Space

Read that as quirkiness. Got confused. Didn't reread it. Proceeded to look up what you were talking about and found a video of two policemen hopping a railing with one stumbling similar to a scene in Hot Fuzz.

But seriously their response time and the way they conducted themselves is highly commendable.

#4811 sten whik, 23 March 2017
    Last edited: 23 March 2017
    Parthidens likes this.
  12. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

It's definitely time to move out of this area.

13. SRainboom

SRainboom Beware The Kitten Holy!

"Re-joining" the fandom, i guess, even though I never...er, left, just lost interest for a while. Can't believe i've been into this show for 7 years now, it doesn't feel like that long! Because I'm a girl, I don't call myself a brony, but this community has had a positive influence on me. it's been a long time since I watched MLP, I'm finishing season 5 so i have a lot to catch up on :D

14. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Why on earth have I never considered playing Worms before? That's on my mind as I've been playing it this evening. This is the original Worms game.

15. sten whik

sten whik Space

"And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, except in that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.""

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Halleluia, BANG!!!

sten whik likes this.
  17. Snowyshy

At first I didn't get this, but then I found out as I read up on history and other Worms games. XD

Funnily, I forgot I had Worms Forts on my GOG account from when they did a limited time freebie. Looks like I gotta play that too. :p

Wonderbolt likes this.
  18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

I got it for the Saturn back in 1997 and spent a lot of time playing it, I got it again on Steam last year. I've owned a lot of them over the years and wasted many many hours on them.

Worms 2 was great, it had it's own hack console to change any setting you wanted, making every bullet massivley overpowered, using the Uzi obliterated the entire map. The Banana Bomb usually broke the game at max level.

Most versions of the original game other than the 1993 console ones change SFX, graphics, UI etc because it was coded for the Amiga and was a pain in the ass making it work at all on anything past 1998 without massive coding changes. So what people play these days is not what I played back in the day.

#ancientgamerproblems

Snowyshy likes this.
  19. Snowyshy

Cool. Haha, I like the sound of that console feature. Reminds me of the time I modded Red Faction on PC using a tool THQ had on their site, and made the rocket launcher blow up the entire map. XD

Interesting. I am familiar with Team 17 developing on Amiga. I bought Superfrog from GOG (removed now) since it looked like a cute game. After that I dug into some of their history.

20. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

I've just noticed that the word "hear" is "ear" with an h at the front [email protected]:

DerpyWhooves, Kemaiku and Snowyshy like this.