1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

I'm sure I've seen more adult-oriented ones with . . . slightly ruder messages on them. Obviously one would have to make sure when handing these out to children.

2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

There's posters in my college classroom explaining various points of grammar with cheerful illustrations as examples. Sometimes they seem to form little stories...
    Extract from the poster explaining their / they're / there:
    There is my house. The firemen are over there. There are no leaves on the trees.

Parthidens and Cuttleshock like this.
  3. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

It'll be 2018 soon...

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

please be less of a trashcan fire than the last 2 years

Or, y'know, just don't let us all die from World War 3: Manbabies with Nukes Edition. That would be super-duper nice.

5. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Electric cars.

I mean, my 02 Focus is still going strong so I'm in no hurry to replace it - probably run it til it dies or becomes comical in banger-ness. Right now it's fine.

But discussion of the winter months (electrics can be set to just self-defrost remotely while you're getting out of bed. Nice!) raised the subject of EVs and things like the Renault Zoe actually sound very tempting indeed when I do come to replace it. The downside is you pay £50-100/month for battery hire dependent on mileage (It'd be the £50 end for me I don't go far) but considering no tax to pay (-£18) and much cheaper 'fuel' costs it works out better still. I pay about £50/month on fuel. It's just that you're stuck with it as it's a contract...
    Getting a charging station is cheap enough (thanks to government subsidy) if you park off-road.

Range is about 100 miles give or take. I thought the Lakes might be a problem but even a round trip all the way across to Keswick and back is within range and there's a 43kW charging station in Ambleside if things look a bit short. Pop it there for 40 minutes, pay a tenner or so, and you're good to go.

Advantages other than cost per mile - less stuff to break down, less messy, quieter, better for the environment, etc. People who have them seem to love them and consider combustion engines kind of like the horse.

Really thinking my next car may be EV.

6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

On Monday night as I was heading into work, I had a seizure and had to be taken to A&E. I ended up spending all of Tuesday and part of Wednesday in the hospital. I feel fine now, it's just that some of my muscles are a bit sore. It's weird though, how I have a clear memory of before the seizure, and after waking up in the hospital Tuesday morning, but nothing in between. I had to have been somewhat with it though, because apparently I had the paramedics ring my partner and later, my partner rang up my supervisor just before my shift would have started.

I've had seizures before, but they've, thankfully, been very rare, spaced several years apart or so. (I've had an epilepsy test before, but my brain scan came out normal), but nonetheless they're going to refer me to a neurologist. Hopefully they can sort this out, or at least figure out what's causing it.

7. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

So sorry to hear you went through this, glad you're feeling fine now.

8. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Oh gosh, glad you're alright now. Yeah, hope they can pinpoint the cause.

(Though sometimes it's a total mystery - I was epileptic throughout my teens and nobody ever could tell exactly why, though it's probably autism-related.)

9. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

Oh gosh. *hugs* I hope you're alright man! That must have been scary. Best of luck to you that they find what is causing it all!

As for my mindgrapes, I'm sort of conflicted right now with myself. I have a huge desire to go to university and follow my dreams, but going to college has been so incredibly tough and difficult for me to cope with that I'm almost certain I want to quit it. Of course, no college diploma means no university, so it sort of leaves me at a stand still at this point in time.

10. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Jeez man, I'm just glad your alright there.

11. Cloudane

Hol (hammy) not looking so good. Sadly she got out of the mid level of her cage the other night which is kind of high. Broke her hind leg, which has had to be amputated today, was starting to perk up after her op but has deteriorated when we came to pick her up... waiting a couple of hours while they keep watch but expecting the worst :(

12. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Oh my goodness... sorry you went through that and I'm glad you're feeling better now. Hopefully the neurologist will be able to get to the bottom of it all. I remember when I had my first seizure (many years ago) my memory played tricks just as yours has. I remember being told that in my case, being extremely stressed and tired at the same time was a significant risk factor in having a seizure. That fitted, because I'd had a run of time when I'd been running on much too little sleep. I was diagnosed as epileptic in the end, though, so your risk factors may well be different.
    Aw, the poor thing. :( Really hoping she manages to pull through.

13. Cloudane

Hammy 3-legs made it <3

Hopefully she stays okay overnight. Things can still come up. Dad's taking her for a follow-up check tomorrow while I worry my way to Glasgow ^^;

14. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Aww, wee Holly's a tripawd. :p Hope she recovers well and enjoys many moons of continued health and happiness.

Cloudane likes this.
  15. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Thanks for the well wishes guys, it’s very much appreciated. :)

Awww, I’m glad your hammy made it. Hopefully she has many years left. :)

Cloudane and TheDashingJack like this.
  16. Cloudane

Oh, throwing in best wishes for your situation too!

Don't know about many, they live 2-3 years and she's 2 around Christmas/New Year but the more she stays with us the better - definitely rather she goes of old age than accident

17. Twisted_Tempest

Twisted_Tempest Certified Hoonigan

It's just hit me... Right in the face... That I'm the 2nd oldest person on my university course. Made me feel absolutely ancient.

18. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

But you're only twenty!

Twisted_Tempest likes this.
  19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Funny enough, I'm the second youngest on my college course. Nearly everybody else has about two kids.

20. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I think I was the oldest on my college course, although I was held back a year for certain reasons. Christ don't wanna talk that :(