1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

You guys in your early 20s saying your old lol.

2. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants "Student Engineer" (Read: Applied Statistician)

I intend to call myself young for as long as possible so I can insist to my mother that I'm too young to have kids...

3. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Hmm I was the eldest person in college for two of my courses and I'm still older than some people at LEGOLAND.

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Twenties is definitely too young!
    I reckon the youngest age people should have kids at is... hmm... at least 28 or so. Even then, very much depends on the individual - of course some folk are vastly more psychologically mature than others.

5. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

I do wonder how many of the classmates I've had are now parents. Kinda glad, in that regard, that I don't keep up with them.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  6. Princess Demandy-pants

I know for sure one from primary school has two, and one from secondary has one.

7. Twisted_Tempest

Twisted_Tempest Certified Hoonigan

I know! That's just the thing... With that said, I'm the youngest of 4 siblings, so this whole 2nd oldest thing is new to me.

Parthidens likes this.
  8. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

I was one of the oldest on my college course, but I made full use of it by imagining myself as some wise old father figure to the others. I once made a tongue in cheek joke about feeling old, and a tutor who didn't get said joke then exploded into a rant about her age. xD

9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Mark my words, young whippersnappers. *creaks* There will come a time when you think of 30 as young! :D

10. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Agree with you there most of the kids in my year were so meh lol

11. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Latest on fluffnugget

1.jpg 2.jpg

12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Cloudane likes this.
  13. Cloudane

Hopefully returning to her 'mansion' tonight :) Just the bottom floor for now - she's had a final checkup at the vets and they're happy with the healing but did spot a tiny bit of blood on her bedding. Said the wound looks okay so hopefully just a scab dropped off, but we'll keep an eye on it and not have her running about on wheels and things just yet.

I think the small "hospital" cage has been driving her nuts!

14. Twisted_Tempest

Twisted_Tempest Certified Hoonigan

Fluffnugget is adorable. Just sayin'

Cloudane and Cendaquenta like this.
  15. Cloudane

I don't know if their emotions and thinking are quite complex enough or of I'm just anthropomorphising, but I could swear she was the happiest I've seen her on being put back into the big cage. Really perky, running over everything and under everything, if she could wag her tail like a dog it'd have been going mad.

Just a case of keeping an eye on the spots of blood (currently on a layer of white carefresh so we can see and extract). It's not a cause for alarm apparently, but something to keep a close eye on.

Saw a hamster surgery video on youtube actually, and had a look as I did kind of want to know what she'd been through. It's not pleasant. Because anaesthetic is life threatening to them, to keep their survival chances above like 50% they're still semi lucid, with the other leg twitching and such :( Must be awful. It just happens to be kinder than letting them be in drawn out, long term pain, and still preferable to the other option - they just warn you there will be a financial hit that is not insignificant. I saw a Daily Mail headline during research that said "Family spends £xxx operating on a HAMSTER" and just thought... why would you imply with your CAPS that it's anything to be embarrassed about, I'd do exactly the same - but I guess not everyone can quite understand the bond you can form with 'even just' a small rodent. You can't really put a price on it.

It's weird really caring about animal welfare while also being a meat eater (a contradiction that rather annoys some who practice veganism). I think to me it's a "rights vs. welfare" kind of thing. Not sure really - us humans are an odd bunch. Perhaps in this instance it's just really a case of caring for your family.

Cendaquenta likes this.
  16. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Oh, yeah, I'm quite sure they're smart enough to recognize their home. That's so cute. ^_^
    Ugh, that's an awful headline. A hamster's just as much a loved pet as a cat or dog, implying they're less "worthy" of care and attention is disgusting.

Cloudane likes this.
  17. THPhony

THPhony Pony

Just generally trying to push forward, and both accept and try and work through self doubt. I've been studying Computer Animation and Visual Effects for 2 years (and I had 1 year previous on a different course) and I'm now doing a self employed placement year with a few other students to set up a company and get some client work and also build up more of a portfolio for ourselves individually (Self employment is an option that the university has somewhat of a support structure for). but I'm still really unsure on what I want to do. I'm "ok" at a number of things but I don't really feel like there is one that I am really good at (enough to be employable based upon it). I switched initially because I wanted to be an animator but I've come to realise that there are so many other roles before and after that which I'm about as good at as I am animating. (which I'd say is again "ok" but not brilliant). I even started delving a little more into programming near the end of last year.

Don't get me wrong, it's opened my eyes a ton, but its also made me very much question what it is that I am best at. or whether or not I have what it takes to get into that industry anyways. in the end I could stay a generalist but from what I've heard its much better to become really good at one thing and then branch out.

I'm still persevering regardless, I just sometimes wonder to what ends? and figured I might as well admit it than just pretend it isn't happening.

18. Cloudane

Nomnomnom

A common situation I think in moving from studying to application. I'm sure it'll work out, but best of luck

THPhony and Cendaquenta like this.
  19. THPhony

THPhony Pony

Thanks, yeah I think you're right. I know the rest of the people on my course have the same kind of concerns. I think that with me working on a lot of my own projects I keep going through a cycle of liking what I'm doing and being happy with what I have created to hating it the next day. I hadn't really the chance to do that last year as when I started to get the hang of things better the deadlines had started to kick in.

20. Princess Demandy-pants

Don't know if I mentioned before, but I got my acceptance letter for Germany yesterday, so that's a relief.

Bellzor, THPhony, Cloudane and 2 others like this.