1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Seasonal grape: in the song "The 12 Days of Christmas", the lyrics kinda sound like the "true love" gives all the presents again each day, with an additional bunch of new ones. So does the singer end up with, say, 12 pear trees containing partridges? :p
    ... Make a nice Christmas dinner, I suppose. Maybe even enough to feed all the lords and milkmaids and so on.

Actually, the giving of people as presents in that song is disturbing. :confused:

2. sten whik

sten whik Space

Yes, 364 presents total. :p

3. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

At school, whenever it was nearing Christmas, our maths teachers would always set us the task of finding out the total number of presents, and how much it would all cost, based on the assumption that the giftee was receiving everything again each day.

Danishbrony2011 and Cendaquenta like this.
  4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Yeah we always have the total number of presents question in at least one pub quiz around this time!

Speaking of this sort of thing, the song "I wish it could be Christmas every day"
    Erm, Christmas tends to cost me about £200-250, and I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have kids. If it was Christmas every day it'd cost £73-91k, several multipliers of my salary, so to that idea I say "bah humbug" :p

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Park_(Mr._Christmas)

Cloudane likes this.
  6. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I, on the other hand, think it would be a lot more enjoyable if it were once every other year.

Danishbrony2011, Pigasus and Cloudane like this.
  7. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

With the recent sad death of Heinz Wolff, I've been wondering to myself why I was hugely taken with The Great Egg Race but have never got into Robot Wars. After all, the two series share a number of elements, in terms of engineering, innovative thinking, teamwork and competition.

I'm still not certain, but I think it may be a difference in philosophies. In TGER, you were trying to beat your opponents -- but you weren't trying to outright destroy their creations. I suspect somewhere at the back of my mind is a thought along the lines of "The RW people have such great ideas; I just wish they'd use that ingenuity for something other than smashing stuff up."

I don't object to Robot Wars at all. I just think this may be part of why I, personally, don't find it as appealing as I might. If there were a series where you had to design robots to to something constructive, rather than destructive, it would probably attract me more.

8. Cendaquenta

Why are programmes with sign language only shown in the wee hours of the morning? Do the schedulers think deaf people are chronically nocturnal? :p

9. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

10. Cloudane

This is really something that I read (perhaps intended, perhaps not) between the lines of what someone said recently, but it's just really touched a nerve / personal insecurity.

Why is it...
    Much loved close family members die (most recently my grandma), I quietly and privately mourn them, feel the sadness that they've gone, maybe dedicate a song I like to their memory in my head when the lyrics seem to fit what I'm feeling. I miss them a lot, and especially feel it at times we would've chatted like Christmas and birthdays etc. But I cope. I'm not a mess, I just cope and get on with it. I say something on here and privately to friends but you check my Facebook and there's nothing because it just didn't feel appropriate... no one other than a couple of other family members on there knew her or were particularly involved in her 90 year life. It'd just be emotion signalling really. And life just... goes on.
    Hamster dies, I'm crying on and off all day. I make a big heartfelt tribute video (that I can't watch back without crying again) and post it all over Facebook and the rest of the internet, I think because she felt like a shared thing where several others have followed her life from start to end and might feel involved. I couldn't cope with the hole weeks later and took on another to have something to love and care for again even though she can't be replaced.
    Heck I watch some episodes of MLP, like most of them, or many other shows even a lot of Star Treks, which one might consider "even sillier" and end up in tears there (though usually happier ones or just generally overcome with the emotions they've played out).

It's just that I think a family member tried to raise this point last night in a passive, between-the-lines kind of way (or I'm reading too much into it due to my own insecurities) and I don't have a good answer, I wish I did. I don't understand grief or emotions in general, it seems. It makes me feel like a horrible person, and I suspect she thinks I'm a horrible person as well (we've all had a pretty frosty relationship in recent years) which doesn't make it any easier.

#5010 Cloudane, 9 February 2018
    Last edited: 9 February 2018
  11. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I think I've experienced the same kind of thing, if it helps, and it's perhaps not unusual. Emotions are complex, and there are too many variables. Take for example, losing a close family member vs crying over MLP (which I have done as well) - the two are incomparably different and so they would almost definitely be completely different emotions which would be expressed completely differently. I think crying about something like MLP is 'safe' because it doesn't really 'matter' in the real world sense; my theory is that the brain here subconsciously uses that safety to test out its range of emotions, perhaps to harden yourself for when a real tragedy happens, I think that's perfectly healthy. But when someone close to you dies it's reasonable that you would put up more defences, even subconsciously, than you would when watching a TV show - because you need to protect yourself. Not that I'm an expert in psychology but in any case, with so many different variables the outcome is completely different and you should definitely not feel bad about it.

Also you can't control when or how you'll feel sad about something. For another example, my Granddad died a couple of years ago, a truly wonderful man who I loved and miss very much. But when I first learnt the news I was on my own, and in the middle of listening to some comedy podcast thing. I stopped the podcast to answer the phone, heard the sad news, but five minutes later I found myself back listening to the podcast - and continued laughing along to the podcast. I felt ashamed of that in retrospect and I questioned then whether that made me a really horrible person - but the truth is that at that point in time, on that particular day, I just wasn't in the right place or frame of mind to fully take on board and internalise that news - emotions sometimes just don't change that quickly. That doesn't mean I wasn't sad, it just came out on a delay in my case and it's still sad for me even now.

Parthidens and Cloudane like this.
  12. Cloudane

Thanks, I think that's similar to what I'd have said if someone else asked the same question, but needed to hear it from someone else.

I think part of it is also time. If someone has been unwell for a while for instance it can even be something of a relief that they're no longer suffering, plus the mourning is spread out both before and after the event. One of many, many factors of course

Parthidens likes this.
  13. Cendaquenta

i don't... get... fandom...

Or rather, fandom, being a fan of something, yes. But the kind of extroverted, performative, obsessive fandom that leads to someone vlogging themselves walking around the supermarket in cosplay? Noooo. Or the just-plain-insane kind that thinks it's okay to send threats to people over fan-art or ships. I don't understand.
    Shipping culture, in general, is especially "????" to me.

Parthidens likes this.
  14. Cloudane

It's all just fun, well except for sending threats to people which is just stupidity...

Judging by the fact I can barely move for plushies and wear pony shirts 80% of the time I probably fit into the obsessive category. Not really sure how it ended up like this - I think a combination of being a superfan (at least in the 2011-2014 kind of era - still a big fan but have become gradually less obsessive over the past couple of years), 'peeing contests' when we were all like "look at my massive merch collection" all the time, hunter-gatherer instincts when it comes to merch, a desire to sort of 'Brony signal' and see if wild bronies pop up (idk, it feels like a secret society of likeminded people or something but not very secret haha - not that they do appear more than once every 4 years or so) and as a guy, the rebellious "screw societal norms, I'm gonna like a girly thing and be loud and proud about it and let the whole world know" angle.

I think the "likeminded people" aspect is a pretty big one. There's something about bronies that they usually seem to be on about the same wavelength and usually pretty darn nice, though I know there are plenty of exceptions. Maybe other fandoms have much the same thing. It really makes you want to wave your brony flag about and get to know others.

That all said, I'd probably draw the line at cosplay in a supermarket unless there's a specific reason like a con nearby (for example I have zero regrets about casually strolling through the supermarket outside Bronyscot in a pink wig and wondercolt ears, haha) but I can see why it'd be fun if you enjoy raising eyebrows. Thing is there is a fine line between raising eyebrows and giving people a laugh / adding a splash of colour to life, and making people cringe. And I have a feeling that filming yourself going round a supermarket in cosplay just for the heck of it, probably falls into the latter category. To be publicly into MLP requires a lowered concern towards "being normal and blending in" but it's probably best not to end up completely oblivious to how you appear to others.

15. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yeah we seem to have calmed down a little in our obsessiveness haha, maybe less events like BUCK has been a factor.

Danishbrony2011 and MCtoastie like this.
  16. Cloudane

Quite possibly - there are still the smaller cons but I usually come back from conventions all "Brony Pride" for a week or so!

17. Cendaquenta

To clarify, I wasn't talking about this fandom! Bronies are chill folk. I've recently got into another rather popular cartoon and its fandom seems to have a pretty high cringe quotient...

18. THPhony

THPhony Pony

That's fair. I guess it depends on the general tone of a show as to what kind of audience it has as its vocal fan base. but sending death threats for that kind of thing is pretty dire in any case.

19. Cloudane

This talk of a new cold war with Russia. Can we not?

Makes me think, in a funny little way (as awful as it sounds and with apologies to anyone who's been affected by attacks) there's a positive side to terrorists - the whole "uniting countries with a common enemy" thing. Mosul goes down, ISIS basically defeated, everyone gets restless and starts threatening each other with nukes

Parthidens likes this.
  20. Cendaquenta

My current mindgrape is "please don't let my country become infamous for the [email protected] pug guy".