1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Everyone is doing this unicorn craze and deleting their Facebooks, yet I've been an MLP fan for years, which has unicorns, and deleted my Facebook years ago. Does this mean I did this stuff before it was cool? o_O

Parthidens likes this.
  2. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Oh, are people doing that? Maybe I won't need to get one after all!

3. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Yeah, apparently it's been a thing the past few days on the news.

4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This story really caught my eye this morning:

RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers'

This is becoming a real problem, and it's also affecting pedestrians -- on multiple occasions walking along pavements at night, I've had to stop completely because the dazzle from an oncoming car's lights is actually painful. And with some new cars, that applies even when the drivers ar using dipped lights. Audis, festooned with strips of LED lamps all over the place, seem especially bad for this.

I think some car manufacturers -- and some drivers -- believe that brighter lights always make for a safer experience, but we've maybe reached the point now where it's no longer true. Part of it is that some cars' lights are badly adjusted, but some of it is simply that they really are now too bright to be safe in a mixed-traffic environment.

Cloudane likes this.
  5. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Some headlights are insane - you end up just basically having to stop sometimes because you're blinded.

6. Cloudane

May be considered "political" so delete/move if inappropriate. Also I am none of the following so maybe it's not my place to say and I'm barking up the wrong tree, but was on my mindgrapes.

There seems to be a trend (local pub just did it, looks like work are doing it) of "addressing gender non-conformance" by printing out a "man / woman / trans / alien / wheelchairthing / whatever" sign, slapping it over the sign for the disabled toilet and calling it a day, then signalling their virtues to the media.

Is it just me or is this a really pointless and counter-productive way of going about it? Gender non-conforming people now basically get handwaved with "eh just use the disabled" while people with disabilities get further marginalised and extra demand placed on their loos, which depending on the disability could be quite urgently required. Doesn't seem right, seems like it helps no one. I like the idea of gender-neutral loos (I have shy bladder syndrome so it sucks standing at urinals for ages waiting for a gap in the 'traffic' for things to start flowing - build lots of cubicles, it'll be great and I don't care who I wash my hands next to after unlocking the door) but IMO it needs to be done properly and I'm not sure just printing out new signs for what were already by their nature gender-neutral facilities, is actually worse than nothing?!

7. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants MagiKing Crimson

Unisex loos have been a thing for years. Don't know why people take a hissy fit at them now they've a new name.

Cloudane likes this.
  8. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

They may have been a thing but I sure haven't seen them around. I agree with Cloudane's sentiments about the cheapness of just 'repurposing' disabled rooms and other issues with it, but I'll take it over either having to go to a single-gender WC that makes me uncomfortable, or just holding it in.

Cloudane likes this.
  9. Cloudane

Good points.

I suppose both being minorities the 'cheap' solution shouldn't be too much of a problem at the moment and a step in the right direction is better than none

10. Loganberry

Up until recently, the small museum in my home town had no gendered toilets at all! There were about five individual cubicles with integrated washing facilities, a couple of them accessible. (It's a very old complex of listed buildings, so major structural changes to make all the toilets fully accessible aren't legally possible.)

Last month, there was a new room labelled "Unisex Toilets" that contained two cubicles and a shared washing area. However, I was there again today and the label had changed to "Ladies Toilets Only, Please". The other single cubicles are still available to everyone, though.

Cuttleshock likes this.
  11. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants MagiKing Crimson

There's a small temporary building up in Carrick Castle which holds some of the displays until they can sort the roof. It has two unisex stalls, and no gendered ones. I think that's really just because there's so few and they need to be able to accomodate people as well as possible. They've the sink and loo in the one room, so it's more like a smaller house toilet than most public loos. Much nicer tbh, but obviously that wouldn't be possible everywhere.

12. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

They may have had a complaint about the label so changed it so something more conservative, weird though that when they were not labeled no one cared, but add that label and people can get upset (assuming that happened).

13. Loganberry

Something I mentioned briefly on Twitter earlier, but there's more space here...

I'm starting to find visiting charity shops a bit uninspiring. That's no reflection on the work of the charities -- this is specifically about the shops. I think I now find them too slick and professional, and not just because of their obsession with Gift Aid. (Yes, I know it brings in a lot of money and I certainly wouldn't want it stopped -- but have the management considered how these "Gift Aiders are lifesavers" posters are seen by, for example, those on state pensions who don't pay income tax, legally can't use GA and are made to feel humiliated, like second-class donors, for something that is not their choice?)

I can remember when you could expect, once in a while, to find something truly unusual in a charity shop, and there was definitely a buzz when it happened. This was back in the early 1990s, before the internet era, and that's part of what's changed. It was much trickier then to find out what most goods sold for second-hand -- you had to scour Exchange & Mart and the like -- so if you collected something fairly esoteric, you'd often find that prices were all over the place.

Now, the larger charities have the resources to ruthlessly strip out all the really exciting stuff before it ever reaches the shelves. At the very best it ends up on an "Old and Interesting" shelf, but otherwise it goes on eBay or similar. Add to that the fact that a lot of geeky youngish people volunteer, and (quite reasonably) often get first pick on stuff, and it means many of the things I used to find in charity shops, in particular retro computing/gaming stuff, now virtually never makes it to the shelves.

Quite bluntly, it's becoming hard to tell the inside of one big-name charity shop from the inside of another -- sometimes it feels as though you'll find more or less the same range of goods whichever one you go to. The charity chains like BHF and Oxfam are, in that respect, another version of Boots or WH Smith. And in all honesty, I'm becoming jaded by it, and I've noticed myself spending less time (and therefore less money) in the big-name charity shops as a direct result.

So I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to the smaller, local charities which don't have the resources to sift everything within an inch of its life and, consequently, don't all feel the same. They have more personality and you can, at least occasionally, still stumble on something unusual. I do actually wonder whether the big-name shops are now too businesslike and slick, and whether this will eventually start to hurt them. I can't be the only one who now prefers the more local shops, surely.

#5033 Loganberry, 13 April 2018
    Last edited: 13 April 2018
    Parthidens likes this.
  14. Cloudane

When people on TV are hung up on, on a basic landline phone, and look at the phone handset. What are they expecting to see? :p

15. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Gift Aid guilt tripping really annoys me, the heritage sector is guilty of it to.

Loganberry likes this.
  16. Loganberry

That's true -- and I think some of the attractions really push the limits of what they're actually allowed to do. The rules say that you can't offer any actual incentive for paying with GA, so (for example) an attraction that offers a 12-month return pass to GA payers only may well be in trouble if anyone tries a test case. I also strongly dislike it for the same reason as above -- it's very unkind to non-taxpayers. Not only are they legally forbidden from using GA, but many feel they have to explain why they're not "choosing" to pay that way, and so they're having to reveal that they're on a low income. I don't think that's at all fair.

Tbh I think the whole GA system needs an overhaul, especially since the higher the tax threshold gets the more people won't be able to pay that way. Possibly one option would be to allow non-taxpayers to voluntarily pay a certain amount of income tax and have credit (like with a PAYG mobile) that could cover GA up to that amount. People who earn just a little from self-employment can already voluntarily choose to pay National Insurance (to count towards state pension entitlement) even if they don't have to, so the principle is already established.

#5036 Loganberry, 14 April 2018
    Last edited: 14 April 2018
    Wonderbolt likes this.
  17. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Part of me wonders is Staff working on the front desk are expected to get x number of Gift aid payments per day and they don't they may end up on performance review or something.

18. Loganberry

I really hope they don't do anything so crude. Any shop that did would lose my custom the moment I found out about it, until they stopped.

19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

It just occurred to me how hard judging a dog show must be. How could you ever look at a whole pack of floofy gorgeous puppers and pick the best one?

TheDashingJack and Cloudane like this.
  20. TheDashingJack

TheDashingJack "An excellent UKoE user."

All dogs are equally good boys. I can't comprehend how they ever pick a winner!

Cendaquenta likes this.