1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. YourElectricityBill

Boring as hell :p Why have I started to feel lonely so often recently?

#5041 YourElectricityBill, 16 May 2018
    Last edited: 16 May 2018
  2. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Quick question for any techy peeps out there - I keep occasionally getting a little popup on pages saying "Leave site? Changes that you made may not be saved.", with the options "leave" or "stay". I'm slightly concerned it might be a virus or something, since it's only started happening fairly recently, and on pages where I hadn't seen anything like that before. It's happened on Goodreads a few times while I was doing a book review and just a few minutes ago on Gmail when I was deleting emails.
    Something to worry about or am I just being overanxious?

3. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

That normally happens if you've started typing into a text box on a site, to warn you that you might lose what you've typed

Not sure why it'd appear otherwise though...

4. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

I'm not 100% on this but I think Gmail does it when you're deleting stuff if it hasn't finished moving something to the bin/removing it from the bin.

5. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

I don't know if I'm the only one feeling this, but . . . well, without going into too many details, there have been some unpleasant things happening in the world and news lately (particularly over the last week or so), and it just seems that hardly anyone cares. There are potentially major issues having to be discussed, and people seem more concerned with watching football.

It might just be me, of course, but I posted about such an issue on social media this week - an issue which I think is pretty important, and could have huge implications for, well, nearly all of us - and there appeared to be no response at all. These are big, important things, and some people (at least from what I've seen) appear more interested in really frivolous matters.

Apologies for my vagueness here (I'm just unsure about posting about some of this stuff when it would probably fit more neatly into 'news'), but that's what's on my mind at the moment. I hope things become a little clearer and more positive, somehow. :/

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I can't speak for anyone else, and I'm also going to deliberately stay vague on specifics... but I'm increasingly choosing not to use social media to discuss serious issues. I think Twitter, in particular, is a dreadful platform for serious debate. The character limit (even now it's 280 instead of 140) means you have to squash complex and nuanced opinions into little more than "I'm right, you're wrong, nyah nyah" -- and there just doesn't seem much point. I mean, look at your post and my response here. Neither of those would remotely fit into tweets, at least not without making them into unwieldy and hard-to-read tweet threads. Also, thoughtful voices have (to some extent) been drowned out by loud people who won't even consider the possibility that anyone remotely reasonable could possibly think, vote etc differently from them on such-and-such an issue.

So I'm changing back to what I used to do years ago: discussing serious issues in places where I actually have the space to do it properly, such as blogs and forums. Twitter started off as a place to post small updates and low-key stuff, and I think it works best for that. (And ponies, of course!) So it's becoming a bit of a place for escapism for me. The fact that I don't post about serious stuff there doesn't mean I don't post about it anywhere. It simply means I need a rest sometimes. Nobody can talk about world-shaking stuff 24/7 without ruining their health, for one thing.

7. Cendaquenta

Mother and I were, for some reason, singing "Someday My Prince Will Come" earlier. It reminded me of a terrible joke I read when I was little about Snow White in a queue to have photos developed, saying "someday my prints will come". Suddenly occurred to me that you couldn't tell that joke to anyone under about 20 these days, because they've never really known anything but digital photography. Weird that such things are now artifacts.

8. Cloudane

Seemingly having zero energy of late. Neglecting everything and wanting to sleep a lot. Bluhh
    Can't be bothered to do anything, not even watching TV, still got 2 episodes of MLP to catch up on.

9. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants "Student Engineer" (Read: Applied Statistician)

oh, that doesn't sound good. I hope it passes in a fairly short time. cuddles!
    [​IMG]

10. Cloudane

Aw thanks <3

It's an odd thing, but I'm sure the energy will be back by the weekend

11. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Is it possible to be angry at the heat? :p

12. Princess Demandy-pants

I have stood at many traffic lights in the midday sun, far away from any decent shade, wondering just how being subjected to that level of heat is not against my fundamental human rights in some way.

Danishbrony2011 and Parthidens like this.
  13. Cloudane

Can we borrow some? Not all of it, it's just bloomin' freezing up here, and wet.

Parthidens likes this.
  14. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I would trade the heat for the cold if I could.

Cloudane and Parthidens like this.
  15. Cendaquenta

Twitter just did that birthday balloons animation for me. I don't have a Twitter account and it's nowhere near my birthday so currently my mindgrapes is... ??? ???????
    ????????????????????

Parthidens likes this.
  16. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Happy unbirthday! :D

Cendaquenta likes this.
  17. Cendaquenta

TY! :p

It turns out that it's the birthday of the person whose Twitter I was visiting at the time, so I guess that must be it.

Parthidens likes this.
  18. Cloudane

Common meme on youtube and the like of {animal A} thinks it's an {animal B}

That doesn't even make sense :p Not many, say, ducks, have the cognitive ability to know what, say, a dog is, or how to be one. So chances are the duck doesn't think it's a dog.

19. Princess Demandy-pants

Every time I mention that I enjoy a glass of pure orange from time to time, people always like to point out how much sugar is in it, and how unhealthy that is. But I tend to drink sugar free coke and coffee, so this is really just an alternative kick to caffeine that cools me down. And it might not be as healthy as a real orange, but there's bound to be some nutrition left. Better than forcing myself to eat an orange that makes my tongue go all funny. I'll take a banana for the fruit content, thanks, and have vegetables at mealtimes.

20. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Orange juice is fine, no more sugar than other fruit