1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

It's been on my mind since yesterday, is game jounalism really necessary? I don't mean it in a negative or controversial way, I mean it in a "is this really needed to decide which games I want to buy" kind of way.

I don't use game reviews anymore. Last few times I bought a game, I used YouTube videos of gameplay without commentary (so it doesn't sway any opinions, I see the game and only the game in action) to see if it's something I'd play or not. I'm also the kind who will just look through the Steam store, GOG, or the eShop during sales, and if something catches my attention, I'll buy it. I did this on GOG, and found Twinkle Star Sprites and Higurashi this way, they caught my attention because of the cute character art, both games are some of my favorites.

Then thinking about it, reviews tend to become outdated. Good example, the game launches, but patches improve the experience over time, that old review is outdated as the game reviewed isn't the one being played currently.

Also, looking at it, I get Game Informer being a GameStop Rewards member, and every time it comes in the mail, I don't even look at it. Last few times I look at gaming sites, it was primarily news. Also, biases play into it too. Example, I love Sonic games, places like IGN really don't. So why am I bothering with something that doesn't represent how I feel about a game? Even Game Informer tends to jab Sonic too, so again, why am I bothering with a form of media that's not representing me as someone who plays games. Aside from GameStop's discounts, I could care less about the magazine. I haven't dealt with IGN for years, so consider that more of an example.

Just something that's been on my mind lately. I love gaming, but it feels less and less that I'm using gaming resources and just making my own decisions when it comes to games I want to play.

Cloudane and GatewaytoGlimmer like this.
  2. sten whik

sten whik Space

You've just asked the forbidden question, the Games Journalists are gonna come and write articles against you now. Congratulations, soon to be newest member of the alt-right. :confused::eek::p

Snowyshy likes this.
  3. Snowyshy

Well darn. XD

Serious personal note: not political in the slightest bit.

4. sten whik

sten whik Space

To actually answer your question, being a game's journalist is more than just reviewing games; reporting on the products, the industry, and the consumerbase is also part of the job. Beyond the information about how good the game actually is, the way the game's financial benefactors or the game's community conduct themselves, or news of a different game coming later that you might like more might change your mind on a purchase.
    However there's been a large compounding of issues in all areas in recent years that has left the old guard of journalist outlets (IGN, Eurogamer, Polygon, etc...) completely incapable of doing the job...

Firstly they have focused on hiring people for their writing speed, maximum writing word count, personality in front of a camera, connections, and political leanings over their gaming experience and writing ability, this has left their reviews of products completely amateurish and full of errors. Many of the outlets also burn through the journalists they hire rather quickly with people hopping in and out jumping from outlet to outlet either because they are contract hires or because the outlets are outright lying to them and tricking them into working for little or for free.
    In an age where anyone and everyone can review a product the consumer has no reason to accept such a poor standard without any renowned personality behind it.

Secondly they have a serious problem with collusion. The biases of one outlet alone ultimately isn't a problem, everyone is biased one way or another, so long as a wide range of biases are available every niche of the consumer can be satisfied however for the past five or so years all the old guard outlets have been colluding with each other to synchronise to the same biases. Sometimes it happens by accident with each outlet copying the opinion of the first outlet to post about something and sometimes it's through real conspiracy with journalists from multiple outlets deciding together behind the scenes what angle everyone is going to go with before even posting.
    In either case the result is that any other outlet be it forum, written, or video that decides to step in with the missing bias will eventually sap away the old outlet's audience.

Thirdly cronyism, this is the classic issue of Games Journalism that has been around since it first stated, by bribery or friendship, journalists often get unethically close to the people behind the product that they are supposed to write objectively about. Generally it's fine so long as they disclose their connection allowing the consumer to decide if they should be trusted but sometimes the connection is so strong that the whole foundation of that outlet comes into question. For example did you know that as of last year IGN now owns HumbleBundle, how can a website that owns a games shop ever be trusted to review them?

All in all these are mostly the problems of the old guard, if you look around you can find journalists of a much higher ethical and technical standard now running their own video channels and websites or even in Steam reviews. PewDiePie for instance has utilised all his experience all these years and has pretty much switched his YouTube channel to a news outlet (thus the hit pieces from the old guard calling him a Nazi). You will still get cronyism popping up here and there though, that will always be a problem.

Parthidens and Snowyshy like this.
  5. Snowyshy

Thanks for the unbiased in-depth post @sten whik! :)

This is exactly how I feel about Game Informer. GameStop owns the magazine and the site, as a result, I don't trust the reviews. They could review a game positively to help increase store sales. At least that's the conclusion I came to myself.

Also, I didn't know IGN owns HumbleBundle. I feel old saying this, I remember when their game store was Direct2Drive. :p

6. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I think on the "ethics in game journalism" thing that was bandied about in 'that' mess, it's an odd singling out of a particular type of journalism. All types have their corruption and such (as well as a few more honest ones)
    Trouble is, without getting too political, I'm not big on the idea of siding with the kind of people who are currently trying the hardest out of anyone to discredit 'the media'

But yeah I'd go more by word of mouth when it comes to games, and what is recommended by people whose tastes I know are similar to mine. I don't need to know that some Bethesda game got a 3/10 in a random magazine/review site because of all the bugs, it's fairly meaningless to me

7. Cloudane

8. Recurrent Trotting

:D that is greatness @Cloudane

holidays is on my mind atm. especially Christmas

but also regret about summer holiday being over :(

9. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants "Student Engineer" (Read: Applied Statistician)

Sometimes people are confused at some of the comments I make. I'm beginning to wonder if that perhaps, as a result of people rarely listening to me over the years I've basically learnt to make absurd statements in the off chance someone might actually pick up on it and comment.

Or I just have no social skills and I'm clearly doing something wrong that nobody's had the courtesy to explain to me.

10. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Last night, I discovered there'd been a kitchen installed on my floor over the summer (replacing the communal bath that no-one used). I've got the same room in this student accommodation for the third year now and I always used the kitchen a floor below me until now, so I'm kinda stuck as to what to do. I have three options:
    Pros:
    • I'm used to it
    • My stuff is already there
    • See: cons of plan B)
    Cons:
    • It's downstairs, probably wasting me a few minutes a day
    • Its cupboards and fridges are very full this year; I'm currently having to use the space under the sink
    Pros:
    • Oh so much more convenient
    • It's really empty, for some reason, so I've got loads of shelf and fridge real estate
    Cons:
    • No window (downstairs has this). It just has two tiny, depressing slats near the ceiling through which you can't even see
    • No place to sit (downstairs has this), which sucks for making big meals (and eating them, which I typically do in the kitchen)
    • Precisely because it's so empty, and because I can't sit and eat meals, I lose a big social aspect of cooking and eating compared to doing so downstairs.
    I'll have breakfast, sandwiches, soups and a few other easy things upstairs, but I'll continue to make big meals downstairs.

Pros:
    • I free up some of my space downstairs by bringing bread, cereal, etc. up
    • Basically all the pros of both
    Cons:
    • It's silly
    • I'll have to get a new saucepan, and also split up my supplies of salt, sugar and some spices
    • Watered-down versions of the cons of A) and B)
    For now I'll just stay downstairs, but I'd like to come to a decision fairly soon so I can get this out of the way before things get hectic. Any... thoughts?

11. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Dunnock dunnock dunnock!!! In garden!

12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Can you try the upstairs one and see if you like it, then move back if not?

13. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

I could, but I think that I can tell fairly well how it'll be just from first impressions (convenience, lack of window, lack of seating). Either way, I've already decided on the third option, breakfast and stuff upstairs but big meals downstairs - I went and got the necessary supplies to go so today. Making that post really ended up being more to gather my own thoughts than really to ask for opinions!

14. Recurrent Trotting

two mindgrapes:

Kindles are awesome - they let me have books that are not just what everyone else reads in the house

relatedly laptops in bed are terrible with their endless repeats of youtube crap. I am glad I have refound the joy of reading crazy feminist fantasy stuff in bed

15. Cloudane

Today I learned my mum's birthstone is Rose Quartz. Which just basically makes me wonder if I am my own mother :p

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  16. Recurrent Trotting

I have just learned that making youtube videos into gifs is fun :3

also is this internet sexism D:
    returns "worst twitch girls" with 3.9m views!

twitch.png
    maybe this is because girl female personality type in a way that boy is not ie a girl who trades on being feminine. I bet there are a few vids for worst twitch lads or w/e
    tiwtch 2.png
    oh well maybe my internet filter is just set to UKIP :p gaming internet guys in general are way too prone to be negative about women who who are trading on their feminitiy for male attention and the men who give them that attention. Also we definitely need a word other than Twitch girl to describe girls who do that. I hereby dub these seekers of male attention on gaming websites 'saucy gaming attention seekers' or 'saucers' for short.

#5076 Recurrent Trotting, 17 October 2018
    Last edited: 17 October 2018
    Cloudane likes this.
  17. Cloudane

Starting to freak out a bit with the onslaught of "impending apocalypse level" climate change news in the past week or so. Also made the mistake of visiting a particular place (if you hear of somewhere called "collapse", don't go there, for the sake of your mental health) which is really playing the sense of certainty about the downfall of human civilisation well within our lifetimes :/

The main hope I have is, the worse it gets, the quicker humanity adapts. You see it during wartime usually, the quickest technological development - well I like to think it works that way in other times of crisis like global climate catastrophe, we'll stop putting billions into killing each other and quickly put billions into building the space umbrella thing (one of the possible cooling ideas) instead, or new solutions will come to light that seem like magical fantasy stuff right now.
    The other hope is that a lot of it is fear mongering for clicks. But not so sure. I do know some of the places (like collapse) are for wallowing in the idea of catastrophe.

Also on the brighter side are reports that a third of the people in our country have at least reduced meat intake (I'm a reducer myself) as that's one of the best forms of mitigation we can take. Eat fewer cows, at least. It also paves the way for more widespread reduction and vegetarianism / veganism as with increased demand will come cheaper, easier and more abundant options for participating in that kind of diet.

18. Princess Demandy-pants

Princess Demandy-pants "Student Engineer" (Read: Applied Statistician)

Aye it's a terrifying situation and just awful when you see businesses and governments just carrying on their merry way without taking the news into consideration. I'm certainly not a big beef eater, and I'd try and I've been trying to eat more seeds and greens, which can't be hurting my health much either. I think the BBC recommended a Mediterranean diet a while back, which suits me grand, being partial to fish and Greek style dairy products myself. I think that's one of the things that the supermarkets and all could be doing, just increasing their range of lower carbon footprint food and lowering the big polluters.

I've noticed I don't really wear my coat still, just a jumper. I'm not sure if that's climate change, too early in the year, or if I'm just spending too much time in heated areas.

19. Cloudane

We've had a warmer summer than usual I think but also in for a cooler winter. These kinds of extremes and "record breaking summer/winter" headlines are going to be the norm as we see changes in the gulf and jet streams, based on what I've heard (but no expert)

Certainly wearing "the big coat" a lot up here as of the last week or so!

20. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

That is my hope as well, that there will be a technological solution. If there is a crisis like that, it would surely become the priority for every scientist on the planet.

Synthetic cultured meat is looking promising at the moment, if that delivers there would surely be no more need to farm animals.

Cloudane likes this.