1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

  1. Cendaquenta

    Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

    Joined:
    22 February 2013
    Messages:
    4,856
    Likes Received:
    9,084
    Well this just reminded me to take my anti-anxiety med... *goes to sit in corner and have a panic attack about the apocalypse*
     
  2. Cloudane

    Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

    Joined:
    24 March 2013
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    8,341
    Sorry! Don't mean to spread panic. Pretty much posting to collect my own thoughts and I'm not convinced it's quite that bad a disaster yet. Only that it could be, in a while, if there's inaction (getting rid of that clown in the white house would probably be a very good start)
     
  3. Cendaquenta

    Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

    Joined:
    22 February 2013
    Messages:
    4,856
    Likes Received:
    9,084
    no it's okay
    "Apocalypse panic" is one of the background programs running in my brain at all times, anyway.
     
  4. sten whik

    sten whik Space

    Joined:
    25 March 2013
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    2,497
    You just need to move to the Moon or Mars Cenda, then you'll only ever have to deal with apocalypse by meteors hitting the living dome. :p
     
  5. Loganberry

    Loganberry Element of Custard

    Joined:
    16 May 2012
    Messages:
    13,080
    Likes Received:
    9,214
    This whole subject is one that I think will be the most important issue in existence within most of our lifetimes. It's at least arguable that it is already, just that most people (including me) don't really appreciate how important, because in truth it hasn't hit us hard enough yet. I strongly suspect that anyone who's around in 50 years time will have seen their everyday lives and their world changed in ways that make anything that's happened in the last 50 (including the online revolution) seem very small beer indeed. Cloudane may well be right that we'll eventually have to adopt a wartime-like society, but as just one example, that usually brings with it a much greater diminution of everyday personal freedoms than any of the things people on social media complain about today. Overall, I think the problem is already much, much worse than many people like to believe -- but that there is hope in that sooner or later we will have to work together as a species. I don't think it's going to be easy, but I do think it will be worthwhile.
     
  6. Parthidens

    Parthidens Honorary Pony

    Joined:
    25 May 2013
    Messages:
    615
    Likes Received:
    622
    This is more of a 'thing that made me laugh and hopefully may make others laugh' than a mindgrapes per se, but last week, it being Halloween season, I and some people from work went to a horror-themed event, at which there were various people dressed as various scary things. Now, with the film reboot of 'Halloween' existing, naturally there were one or two Michael Myerses wandering around. One person I was with, however, kept referring to him as Mike Myers, which to me conjured up images of Shrek and Austin Powers walking around amidst all the scary attractions.

    If there's any point to be made about this, it's probably that it's quite unfortunate being Mike Myers, or Michael Myers, depending on which is worse.
     
  7. sten whik

    sten whik Space

    Joined:
    25 March 2013
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    2,497
    Many years back everyone who played Rainbow Six referred to him as Mike as there was a custom gamemode called Mike Myers where a player with a mask and shotgun hunts down everyone else.
     
  8. sten whik

    sten whik Space

    Joined:
    25 March 2013
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    2,497
    With the effect of cows on the environment being in the news again I find myself wondering if the population eating less beef would actually reduce the number of cows as only 60% of a cow is used in food the other 40% is used in other things. Haven't found a hint of an answer online yet.
     
    Cloudane likes this.
  9. Cloudane

    Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

    Joined:
    24 March 2013
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    8,341
    Yeah it's a good point that - I suppose everything helps, and I'm trying to get less leather-based products. But then if they're replaced with plastic, I suppose it's just shifting the problem to something else (oil). Saving the world while still existing is hard...
     
  10. Danishbrony2011

    Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

    Joined:
    17 March 2014
    Messages:
    993
    Likes Received:
    192
     

Share This Page