1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's on your mindgrapes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Dylia, 6 September 2013.

1. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Well this just reminded me to take my anti-anxiety med... *goes to sit in corner and have a panic attack about the apocalypse*

2. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Sorry! Don't mean to spread panic. Pretty much posting to collect my own thoughts and I'm not convinced it's quite that bad a disaster yet. Only that it could be, in a while, if there's inaction (getting rid of that clown in the white house would probably be a very good start)

3. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

no it's okay
    "Apocalypse panic" is one of the background programs running in my brain at all times, anyway.

4. sten whik

sten whik Space

You just need to move to the Moon or Mars Cenda, then you'll only ever have to deal with apocalypse by meteors hitting the living dome. :p

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

This whole subject is one that I think will be the most important issue in existence within most of our lifetimes. It's at least arguable that it is already, just that most people (including me) don't really appreciate how important, because in truth it hasn't hit us hard enough yet. I strongly suspect that anyone who's around in 50 years time will have seen their everyday lives and their world changed in ways that make anything that's happened in the last 50 (including the online revolution) seem very small beer indeed. Cloudane may well be right that we'll eventually have to adopt a wartime-like society, but as just one example, that usually brings with it a much greater diminution of everyday personal freedoms than any of the things people on social media complain about today. Overall, I think the problem is already much, much worse than many people like to believe -- but that there is hope in that sooner or later we will have to work together as a species. I don't think it's going to be easy, but I do think it will be worthwhile.

6. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

This is more of a 'thing that made me laugh and hopefully may make others laugh' than a mindgrapes per se, but last week, it being Halloween season, I and some people from work went to a horror-themed event, at which there were various people dressed as various scary things. Now, with the film reboot of 'Halloween' existing, naturally there were one or two Michael Myerses wandering around. One person I was with, however, kept referring to him as Mike Myers, which to me conjured up images of Shrek and Austin Powers walking around amidst all the scary attractions.

If there's any point to be made about this, it's probably that it's quite unfortunate being Mike Myers, or Michael Myers, depending on which is worse.

7. sten whik

sten whik Space

Many years back everyone who played Rainbow Six referred to him as Mike as there was a custom gamemode called Mike Myers where a player with a mask and shotgun hunts down everyone else.

8. sten whik

sten whik Space

With the effect of cows on the environment being in the news again I find myself wondering if the population eating less beef would actually reduce the number of cows as only 60% of a cow is used in food the other 40% is used in other things. Haven't found a hint of an answer online yet.

Cloudane likes this.
  9. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Yeah it's a good point that - I suppose everything helps, and I'm trying to get less leather-based products. But then if they're replaced with plastic, I suppose it's just shifting the problem to something else (oil). Saving the world while still existing is hard...

10. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

11. Wessexbrony

Wessexbrony UKoE resident Victor Meldrew

Wrote an alternate history post on another forum about how an earlier dub of Detective Conan leads to said dub flourishing on CBBC /BBC1 (and later BBC3) and K-On! eventually being screened on CBBC. Ended up finding the complete first series of K-On! in HMV yesterday.

(And the whole of Monster Musume as well.)

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  12. Loganberry

I've been reading about the Solar storm of 1859. It's an interesting and potentially alarming event that's surprisingly not very widely known -- even though Earth came within a few days of a similar one in 2012. The direct relevance to everyday life is that a geomagnetic storm on this scale would have huge effects on the electricity supply, beyond even the biggest power cuts. Outside laboratories, about the only people working with electricity in 1859 were telegraph operators, and there are some remarkable stories about that. For example, some operators could still send messages after disconnecting the power supplies.

Now, think about how massively more dependent on electricity we are now than in 1859 and imagine what something like that would do today. As the 2012 near-miss shows, it's not at all impossible that it could happen in our lifetimes. It's something to think about.

Parthidens and Bridle Timeout like this.
  13. Loganberry

More of my brain refusing to be quiet now... I've been wondering whether people are even remotely prepared for the inevitable changes that advancing standards in AI and automation will bring. I don't refer here to the singularity and self-aware machines and suchlike. I'm thinking of something much more straightforward, which is: what are the millions and millions of people who don't go to uni (about 50% in the UK) going to do if we have an economy where you basically can't do any job much above minimum-wage levels without high educational attainment (such as a degree), yet even those minimum-wage jobs are progressively being automated out of existence?

14. Wessexbrony

I was thinking about "Flight to the Finish" last night and began wondering about Scootaloo's scooter journey at the end of the episode.

Let's assume that the distance between Ponyville and the Crystal Empire is around the same as the length of the East Coast Main Line between London and Edinburgh, and the timings for the train to the competition are similar to The Elizabethan circa 1952; six and a half hours.

Assuming the time between the train departing and Rainbow Dash, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle convincing Scootaloo to do the routine as intended was an hour and a half, and that Rainbow Dash and the CMC either got to the Crystal Empire at the same time as the train or beat it there, then Scootaloo was powering her scooter at a constant speed of between eighty and one hundred miles an hour.

15. sten whik

sten whik Space

Ah the classic pony speed discussion. It's generally agreed that Rainbow can go faster than the fastest airspeed plane. Whatever speed Scootaloo can go she can't generate enough thrust for VTOL and hovering like the other pegesai. I'd like to point out you've made the assumption that they went all the way to the Crystal Empire and didn't just catch up with the train at some point. It might even have stopped somewhere for passengers, for fuel, or to check the wheels since Rainbow had pulled the emergency brake. Also The Elizabethan is a massive train with a massive tender to store fuel and streamlining whereas the standard train you see in mlp is quite small and not even the big royal streamlined train has a tender (though to be fair I've no idea what fuel they actually run on since there's no visible water tank or coal bunker).

16. Wessexbrony

The fact that fimfiction's grammar guide uses Cupcakes as an example of paragraphs and dialogue.

17. Loganberry

Particularly strange considering "Cupcakes" isn't even hosted there! But yeah, Fimfiction's guide needs a really thorough improvement/update, really. I doubt it'll ever happen, though.

18. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

I know that feeling.

19. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Thinking about purchasing a new graphics tablet - my current one is a simple Wacom Bamboo.

Was originally looking at wireless models on Amazon but then I came across the Xp-Pen Artist12

Which is a graphics tablet with a monitor. For less than £200. Really tempted.

I want to try some more art, though whether I'll ever be good at it is another matter. :oops:

#5099 nerdowl, 22 March 2019
    Last edited: 22 March 2019
  20. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

It has just occurred to me - in Finding Nemo, how does Dory know what balloons are? Or that they're associated with parties?

Her backstory with the aquarium would probably account for it, but I doubt that had been thought of at the time of the original film's release.

(Yes, this is the kind of thing I think about at 6 a.m.)

Parthidens likes this.