1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What's your favourite memory/experience in the MLP fandom?

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 8 August 2019.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I know that FiM hasn't ended yet, but this thread isn't going anywhere either! So, like the subject line says: if you had to pick one thing from all your time as an MLP fan that you wouldn't have missed for the world, what would it be? It can be huge or tiny, as long as it's to do with the My Little Pony fandom. (Not just a show episode, although a fandom thing relating to an episode does count.)

I do have an answer, but I'll wait until a few more people have replied. :)

2. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Nice idea for a discussion. :)

If I had to pick one experience, it would have to be the day of my first MLP convention. UK Ponycon 2015 in Leicester. I missed the Friday pre-meet, but the convention itself was very fun.

In particular, my favourite memory is of going to the nearby Wetherspoons for dinner on the Saturday evening. We put a massive table together for about 15 of us, and we had a big line of plushies (many newly bought that day) down the middle of it.

I got to meet people at that table that I’m still friends with today. And overall I felt a really strong sense of ‘belonging’. It was just really good to hang out with so many like-minded people.

As the evening wore on, we started hearing murmurings of the latest MLP episode, and how it was really good. Possibly even the best ever. I managed to avoid spoilers, so went home that evening and blind-watched ‘Crusaders of the Lost Mark’. The icing on top of a wonderful day.

I remember travelling on a train a few days after the con. And thinking about what a good time I’d had the previous weekend was actually making me tear up a bit, haha.

3. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Three and a half years is quite a while, but I still feel a bit like most fandom "moments" had already passed when I got here. Still, my favourite experience so far was UK PonyCon 2018, not least because I didn't even know if I'd be able to make it. If I were to be more specific, I'd say singing with many other fans and at least a few friends, both at the Crystal Ball and just before the closing on the Sunday. Like I said on the feedback thread, I'd never felt belonging like that before, and several songs from the show and fandom have taken on a whole new meaning for me since. My mind actually stayed blown for about a week after the convention, tearing up fairly often at the memory. I actually felt my confidence grow after that, and it still hasn't dropped to where it was before.

Oilyvalves, CuldeeFell and Loganberry like this.
  4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I know it's boring of me, but I'm also going to pick a UK PonyCon memory! This is from 2015, when the con was held in a hotel. In those days, My Little Karaoke hadn't arrived at UKPC, and the very basic setup they did have (singing along to YouTube) didn't appeal too much. Anyway, the upstairs lobby area of the con space had a piano in one corner and a bunch of us got around this piano, with people taking turns to play MLP tunes on it. The snag was that none of us were actually good piano players, so it was mostly one-finger stuff. We didn't really care about that, though.

We put a few plushies and figures on the piano, and we spent quite a while singing along. There was nothing official about this -- it wasn't in the con schedule at all -- but it was just a little group of friends, many of whom would never have met but for Pony, enjoying the harmless fun and silliness of ponies by being harmlessly fun and silly ourselves. For a little while, I really didn't have a care in the world. Yes, UKPC has grown a lot since then and I greatly enjoy the karaoke now as well. But that afternoon in Leicester will always be very special to me. :)

5. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I'm also going to mention a UK PonyCon memory; 2017 in my case.

I wasn't feeling too great around that time for reasons that don't need repeating here and was really looking forward to the con as it was the first time in a long time I felt as if I'd be able to have some space to myself. It was also the first time I'd ever been to UK PonyCon having missed out on the past few years through events clashing and tickets selling out.

But the other thing that happened that weekend was it was the weekend that My Little Pony: The Movie came out. So in the event what I did was packed up my bag for UK PonyCon (including my first attempt at a Pony cosplay I'd made) and took it with me to the cinema to see the film. Then immediately afterwards I walked out of the cinema and on to the train to UK PonyCon. I was already buzzing with excitement for the convention and seeing the film on my way to the convention was really just the icing on the cake. I remember feeling like I was walking on cloud nine as I walked to my hotel.

Oilyvalves and Candy Yunagi like this.
  6. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

The 2012 BUCK chat livestream.