1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Where do you see the MLP fandom going in the future?

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Loganberry, 24 July 2020.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

We seem to have threads like this on UK of E every so often, so let's have another one! :p

I've deliberately kept the subject line fairly open, since I don't mind whether you want to talk about the near future, after G5 appears or total speculation as to its place in a (human) generation's time.

My personal view is and has been for a while that what you might call the "brony fandom" will continue to have the boundaries between it and the wider MLP fandom blurred. You can see that in the way most people seem to be at least willing to give G5 a chance, that many acknowledge the G1-G3 history even if they don't personally like it, etc. I will personally be very happy if that is our future. I imagine I'll always love Friendship is Magic most of all, as it would take something absolutely staggering to dethrone it from the top of my personal charts, but it's a long time now since I've only been into G4 and I don't expect that to reverse.

2. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

I feel the days of the Brony Fandom being a Mainstream Fandom are long gone.

That said many have remained loyal and even nearing a year since the show ended continue to support the franchise.

For some I guess it was nothing more than a fad and have now moved on to other things..

Will G5 be enough to bring the Brony Fandom back to it's Glory Days?.. Honestly I don't think it will.

Even if G5 does end up being better than G4 I think the shock value has come and gone.. I'm sure some former fans may come back and give a few eps a chance but whether or not it will be enough to bring them back as full time fans.. I have my doubts.

In a weird way I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that the fandom isnt as big as it once was.. It's numbers are still healthy and I don't think is in danger of dying anytime soon.

Loganberry likes this.
  3. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

It's interesting for me, since I completely missed the glory days I always hear about. Does kinda make me wish I'd come earlier sometimes. I can understand how some would've simply enjoyed the irony and become bored in the later seasons as the novelty wore off. I do kind of enjoy that irony myself, but for me, and for many others, I'm sure, it runs deeper than that. Since the show ended, my desire to rewatch has somewhat declined but ponies have remained ingrained in my daily life. Still listen to and play pony/brony music, still make pony references, still enjoy fandom artwork and animation and I'm still a part of this fandom and community, even if I'm a somewhat quiet part of it :p. And I still have 21 pony plushies staring back at me as I write this. In any case, I'm pretty here more for the fandom than the show now, still keeping up with most of its content. Music in particular, which I still hope to contribute to sometime.

We're losing conventions, and it's easy to look back at what used to be with melancholy, but I'm in at least a couple of other fandoms much smaller than this one (one of which will probably stay that way, the other might still grow). The point is that while smaller, I actually feel like our fandom is still fairly big. I agree that we probably won't reach the fabled 2012/2013 heights again, but another, smaller spike in popularity could happen with G5. And even failing that, I think we'll still be here, even if it doesn't look so much like it from the outside. It amuses me to see things from outside the fandom asking what happened to the bronies, exclaiming that they just disappeared. That's funny, because I'm still seeing new content every day.

UK PonyCon remains proof that the G1 fandom/subfandom is still a thing some 30+ years later. But while it hurts to see things like conventions disappearing, I feel like no matter how small the fandom might become, I still want to remain part of it.

Loganberry, Robshi and Mista Squishy like this.
  4. Mista Squishy

Mista Squishy (ThatSquishyGuy)

Honestly when i first joined the fandom towards the end of season 3 of FiM, i thought i was a late comer and would always be a newbie compared to the rest of the fandom. But now almost 7 years later i'm only just realising how long it's been and how far the fandom has come, and it all feels like a blur. I feel as though i never truely experienced the prime of the fandom either, most likely taking it for granted and assuming that the fandom would always be around and strong, just due to how welcoming, caring and accepting our fandom is. Now i'm an old time Brony looking back with a nostagic heart... time flies.

It's quite disheartening to see how quiet and almost abandoned the fandom appears to be nowadays, even on other platforms the brony community has dwindled and, in some areas, i feel that the core values of the fandom have also taken a back seat. But i do certainly hope that G5 can relight a spark in the flame of the fandom again, even if it is brief.

When all is said and done though, i know i'll never not hold the memories i've made here close to my heart, and i'll always be part of the fandom. Even if/when the fandom eventually does sputter out fully, i'll still be a Brony.

5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

Thankfully I was a fan of the show in time for the glory days. The rumbling about MLP online is what got me intrigued in the show in the first place. Sadly I doubt we will ever see the level of hype there was in the early seasons of the show, and it shows with both the more subdued online presense and how we'll likely never get a convention as huge as BUCK in the UK again.

As for the future, I'm not sure what will lie for conventions given the current situation. I was really sad to see BronyScot announce it won't be holding any more cons as a result. Hopefully other conventions can run smoothly again soon.

I think a lot will depend on how well Generation 5 is received. Hopefully it can be good enough to revive some interest and get people talking again. If it bombs though I think we'll just be reminisicing over what we had and possible blending in with fans of the previous generations.

Mista Squishy and Loganberry like this.
  6. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I think the Brony Phenomenom as a "thing" was very much a 2011-14 (ish) thing. Being a Brony felt like a way of life back then. For a lot of people at that point being a Brony was their life and there was a period in the first half of 2014 when almost all of what I did in my spare time was pony or brony related. (Many of my posts on this very site are from that period). Now for me personally it's a much more casual thing. I don't watch episodes all that regularly any more, I go weeks or months at a time without visiting Equestria Daily when I used to read pretty much every post on there. But also I do still buy some pieces of merchandise, and with the Worcester Shires Discord meets (which I very much enjoy) I'm probably spending more time each week doing Pony things now than I was this time last year. But my interest is mainly nostalgic now. The excitement of it being something "new" has completely gone.

7. Recurrent Trotting

I wish I could get into the wider pony stuff more but the mane G4 series, the EQG movies, and the G4 comics are the only things with the magic, the EQG series and Littlest Pet Shop were pretty fun, but they're things I'd only watch if the kids are watching them :p I will wait and see for G5. Ponies will always have a special place for me now. Not just G4. But that doesn't mean I am anywhere near as interested in wider pony as I am in G4.

Anyway I'm not connected to the fandom that much anymore, but i know bronies continue to have fun with RP and art and things. Mane thing is that people have friendships tied to the fandom and they are continuing on with that.

Does the MLP fandom have legs? Yup. 4 of them :3

8. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Onto social media and chat groups xP
    Getting nostalgic for forums now though.

I think either G5 gives us a brony resurgence, or we effectively become a furry subset.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  9. Recurrent Trotting

This thread needs pony sufjan :3