1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

why doesn't uk of equestria use its YouTube channel to host podcast's

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by Patrick Rowberry, 6 February 2016.

1. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

it could be hosted by mod's and have guest from uk of equestira or the fandom and be used to advertise people and show of and ask people questions

it could be done on Skype or Google plus

and there could be so much done using it

so please do it..

Explonova likes this.
  2. deaduser

deaduser Honorary Pony

I guess that is a fare point, the UKoE YouTube channel has been inactive for a year

3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Yeah not a bad idea, the forum could do with something new and fresh.

4. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Didn't UKoE have a podcast at one point? I remember @Cloudane linking me to one long before I ever joined this forum (mid 2013 if I remember). Don't know why, this thread reminded me of it.

Also, I didn't know they had a YouTube channel. I would figure convention montages would be on them, I guess not.

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Hi guys -- just poking my muzzle in here so you don't think none of us have been reading this! I'm not a video person, so couldn't say how much work it would be, but it's worth thinking about this sort of thing.

6. Patrick Rowberry

list of things for a good lpw pod-cast

mic (check)

editing software (check but not the best)

the ability to use skype or google + (double check .. heck i could make a Skype chat group for it)

free time ( i have lots of that)

sign me up

7. deaduser

deaduser Honorary Pony

list of things i have for a good lpw pod-cast

mick jagger playlist (check)

microsoft movie maker (check but not the best)

the ability to use skype or aim (double check .. pat can make a groop)

free time (i have lots of that )

sign me up!!!1

8. Tibbs

Tibbs cats.

It did, way back in 2012. Some folks, me included, tried again in 2013 but that fell apart. I still have the original episodes on a server somewhere.

9. Patrick Rowberry

may i ask a question does the uk of e have a Skype group

if not me or another mod like you self could make one

10. Loganberry

No, there isn't, and to be honest there's unlikely to be one. Several reasons for that:

* Skype becomes unwieldy with a lot of people. You'd have huge numbers of missed messages when you joined.
    * We have the IRC channel already for real-time text chat. Why duplicate that?
    * To be an official UK of E thing it would need to abide by UK of E rules, and Skype is a horrible pain to moderate.

11. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

To be fair the on site chat thing is pritty pants and very few people use it, that said what you said about Skype is spot on. I think their is a Skype thread on forum anyway so people can organize their own chat groups.

12. Loganberry

I'm not an IRC userer, so not the best person to comment on that -- but I would imagine it's nicer to use if you use your own IRC client rather than the web-based version. You're right, though: we do have a Skype thread, though it's been quiet for a while.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  13. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

It's there for the uninitiated. A lot of people either don't have an IRC client, or more likely, don't know what IRC even is in this day and age. It is pretty ancient, but is cheap-and-cheerful and that's why we have a no-nonsense client on the website for people who want to get involved.

If they decide they quite like it, then I'm sure they'll learn how IRC works and pick a client of their own choosing. Given how old IRC is, it won't have anything fancy like formatting or rich content snippets - things that Slack, Skype and FailBook Messenger like to brag about, but IRC was serving a purpose back when these other services didn't even exist.

Admittedly, I don't go on there much now myself because then it's yet another service I have running in the background on top of all the other things I'm now expected to have running (Steam, Slack, Skype, Hangouts, etc.) and I get to a point where I can only take so much noise.

If people are still interested in real-time messaging, then that might be something we can investigate.

14. Patrick Rowberry

i will add a poll

15. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

Skype group? No no no no... That's just bad. I've been in plenty of free-for-all groups in Skype before and they've been nothing but awful. Skype as a platform in general is just pretty poor.

I said "If people are still interested in real-time messaging, then that might be something we can investigate." - that doesn't mean presuming we want a Skype group.

deaduser likes this.