1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Technology & Internets' started by Centurion, 2 August 2015.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Fair enough, I 100% always get dogpiled with "it's just you, it's all perfect for me and the rest of us!" when criticising the usability of Linux on the desktop (or laptop in this case), I must just be really really unlucky :p
    I can certainly use it and in a pinch sometimes fix things in source code but I just always seem to want things from it that aren't really fleshed out on the platform and that take more time out of my day/week to get going, and the older you get the more you realise how precious time is. Then I mention it and in most cases would just get "well why do you even want fingerprint reader support anyway? Just type a password, stupid!" and to me that kind of response (you're using your computer wrong!) is part of the problem and ironically smells a bit of Apple :)

No apology required! I do tend to come across as inept with it (I also like to put myself in the shoes of those who don't have the computer literacy that I have and... let's just say I think tablets are the future!) but yeah I just always seem to want it to do things that other users aren't so bothered about, so I constantly stumble across things like the fingerprint reader issue where it's sort of half done and poorly documented and most Linux-y types will be saying it's just a gimmick and you shouldn't be using it etc.
    Thinkpads are actually renowned for good Linux support and I did factor that in (along with ex corporate refurb Thinkpads being outstanding value for money) it just seems so far that fingerprint reader support (though this is just an example of *many* things that make me think "this is only half finished", it's an easy one as I've been battling with it today) generally aren't that great overall. In my eyes.

Then we have the issue, which is not Linux's fault, when you think "right, I'll play some Fallout 4 now. Oh... I have to boot into Windows". So you end up needing it anyway. (There's WINE, but I usually find that's a rabbit hole of glitches of its own!)

I think the main thing is, I'm not seeing enough of an advantage of Linux to make the sacrifices. So it only feels like making a bunch of sacrifices for no benefit other than to satisfy people who say you should totally use it because Microsoft and Apple are evil. There's no killer app on it for me, and as much as I like the concept of open source I don't see it as vital and have a lot of frustrations with it (mostly that it's usually zero cost, which means developers can't be held accountable for fixing bugs or feature advancement). It's nice doing update reboots when I choose to and not being dictated to with the whole "would you like to reboot now, let us reboot for you later (hope you had nothing important open!), or force us to break your kneecaps?" routine that Windows does, but that's not enough for me.

2. Cloudane

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105631

It's like come on. This was reported in 2005. Eleven years ago!! This is what I'm talking about. It's shocking.

And it's a shame as otherwise KDE is great - it's a last bastion of user control over their own desktop. Try customising Unity and see how far that gets you :)

There's just always something like this spoiling what should be good.

3. Cloudane

Well apologies for the multi post monologue :p But thought I'd share Chocolatey:
    https://chocolatey.org/

Brilliant! Like apt/yum, but for Windows. So far (*touch wood*) it's had everything I've thrown requests at it in terms of free (small f, not necessarily OSS) software. Even my Logitech stuff. This should make Windows far more tolerable!

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

Is anyone else getting a "some settings are managed by your organization" message on the Settings page? I don't know what it's all about, it's a home computer, what "organization" is being referred to?

5. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

I've only ever seen that on Windows 10 PCs that have been run at university. What it refers to is that only a system administrator can change those settings because they want that to be the case.

I have no idea what that could be causing that, unless there are multiple users on that PC and only one of them is considered a "System Administrator".

6. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I thought I'd revive this thread as I've recently run into a problem.

A few days ago an update was released and effectively forced onto my computer by Windows 10. The update has gone through, but I now have no sound. It says it has no audio devices even though I have built in speakers. I've tried several things already using up a lot of time, such as reinstalling the driver, updating the driver (which is fully up to date), trying and failing to install a new Intel driver, looking up hidden drivers and uninstalling them, restarting several times. I've done everything I can find advice on and nothing has worked.

I've seen some mention of driver problems on this thread already, so hopefully someone can give me some useful advice here.

Edit: I've managed to resolve the issue. It seemed I just needed to reset/refresh Windows on my device. I managed to save all my files, but my favourites and any programs I added have gone. At least I have the sound back and things are running smoothly.

#106 Robshi, 3 March 2018
    Last edited: 4 March 2018
    Alteran likes this.