1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Worcester Shires

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Pigasus, 19 January 2015.

1. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

good news; boleros is open, however i know for many its too soon to start meet ups but i may be woth think about when

I personally think mid July but what do you guys think also we can still have vertical and irl meet ups as well

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

As some of you will already know, @Patrick Rowberry and I managed to coincide in Worcester today, and we did spend a short amount of time in "our" room at Bolero's before going back outside. (And yes, I had a chocolate muffin...) So technically it was a Bolero's ponymeet, even if it was a minimal one! Happy to report that it's still quiet downstairs and still very similarly laid out to how it's always been. I'm afraid neither of us managed to injure ourselves, spill water, etc, though...

We didn't actually sit at the big table; it was more convenient for social distancing for us to sit at separate but neighbouring smaller tables along the right-hand wall as you come down the stairs. But I did make sure that Fluttershy claimed the big table for Equestria! for our group. Photo attached. :p

FlutterBolero.jpg

3. Loganberry

Happy New Year!

Last year was the year we stopped having in-person meets.
    This year will be the year we start again!

Much too early to suggest which month, even as a guess, but it's going to happen at some point. As such, I'm going to post a few thoughts about that. I must stress that these are my personal thoughts, not any sort of "Official Worcester Shires Policy", so please don't read any of this as meaning this will happen. As I say, it's just thoughts.

A little rambly, so please look under the cut. Note that this was written before lockdown started, though what I said still applies pretty well.

I think we have three broad categories to consider once we start becoming able to think about meets again. They are:

1. What is allowed
    This is the most straightforward, I guess. At the moment (Monday 4 Jan), anywhere in England (except the Isles of Scilly!) you basically can't meet up. Yes, in Tier 3 there's a limited exception for up to six people in an outdoor public space (eg a park) but practically speaking meets aren't allowed. We'd need to be back to around the Tier 1 level before it was logistically possible. That won't be for some while yet, sadly.

2. What is sensible
    Going right up to the limit of the rules is not generally a great idea. For example, as things stand here in Tier 3 Worcestershire it would be permitted for me to jump on a train at Kidderminster and go to Worcester -- that's all within the same council area. So I'd be allowed to travel like that for fun even as things stand. Would it be a good idea? I really don't think so.

3. What is comfortable
    This is the most subjective one, and we won't all have the same feelings about it. By this I mean whether we personally feel okay with travelling and meeting in whatever way, even after criteria 1 and 2 are met. For example back in the summer it was allowed to have six people meeting indoors. I wouldn't have been comfortable with that at the time, even though I was okay with meeting just Pat in Worcester.

I think it's quite possible that, when we first start to meet up again, some people will feel more comfortable than others. For example, those who have to travel further, who have underlying conditions, who live or work with elderly/vulnerable people etc may feel the need to wait a bit longer. How the vaccination programme proceeds will have a bearing, too. As such, our first meets back are unlikely to be particularly large ones.

We will also need to accept that there may have to be restrictions on numbers, for example if a "Rule of Six" type thing is still in effect. This will probably affect indoor locations more than outdoors, so it's possible that sitting in a small group outdoors will be okay but sitting in that same small group indoors won't be. Which, yes, sadly does mean that...

...we may have to wait quite some time before all of us can sit around the big Bolero's table again. It's indoors, the room doesn't have windows, it's got people passing through because of being on the route to the gents, etc. I felt okay sitting there with Pat in August, and I felt the staff were excellent, so hopefully we'll be back. But not straight away.

Any restrictions on numbers will also mean we won't be able to run our usual "wander in and join us if you feel like it" approach. Again, this is a shame. It may be that if we do have, say, a six-person limit that the only workable approach is to ask people to "book" their attendance in advance. That, I'm aware, will be quite awkward for some of us.

It may not be possible to stay in the same place throughout the meet as we've generally done in the past, especially at first. It may be necessary to spend, say, an hour indoors and the rest of the time walking around Worcester outdoors. Again, this will be awkward for some people and I'm sorry about that, but I can't really see a way around it.

I'd expect mask rules to remain in effect, certainly indoors, for quite some time yet, so they may well be a factor when we start to meet again. I'm obviously aware that some people are exempt and that's fine, but for the rest of us we're going to have to get used to wearing them when we're together, at least to start with. Oh, and if anyone finds MLP hand sanitiser, let us know! :p

There are probably more things I've forgotten to mention, but I think that's enough rambling from me for now! It will be a fairly long and bumpy road back to meeting up in the way we'd all like, but at least we can start to see the road now. I'll end on that hopeful note. :)

#2783 Loganberry, 4 January 2021
    Last edited: 8 January 2021
    Kim, CuldeeFell and Pigasus like this.
  4. MachinePony

MachinePony Hardcore Metal Nerd

Just to let you guys know if you still planning setting up for future meets in Worcestershire there is going to be a Geek Retreat opening in Kidderminster soon so that place could be our possible new meet-up spot if we all agree to it. https://www.facebook.com/GeekRetreatKidderminster

Patrick Rowberry likes this.
  5. Patrick Rowberry

as soon as we are able to the likly hood is lat march but i feel we may put it up to a vote

6. Loganberry

@MachinePony -- Yes, the group is definitely still interested in restarting in-person meets in the future. :) The strong likelihood is that we'll continue to meet in Worcester as a rule, because it's the easiest place for most people to get to (and because if and when Bolero's reopens as we all hope, they deserve our custom back!) but we may have the occasional "Worcester meet on tour" meet somewhere else.

Thanks for the info about the Geek Retreat; interesting! Unfortunately if it's where I think it is in Kidderminster, it's not a very large unit -- certainly nothing like the size of the Birmingham Geek Retreat -- so it might not be large enough for more than a small meet. I can't tell from its Facebook whether they plan on including a café, either. Will give it a look when it opens, though!

@Patrick Rowberry -- Sorry Pat, the chance of a late March meetup is zero. I know you want to see folks again -- so do all of us -- but that's just too soon. The "Stay at Home" order isn't planned to be lifted until 29th March, and that's a Monday anyway. Outdoor café seating isn't planned to reopen until after Easter, and indoors even later than that. I hope we can get something (probably on a smaller scale at first) going this spring, but I wouldn't like to be more specific than that for the moment.

7. Patrick Rowberry

from the 12th of April outdoor cafes will be open this is a great thing however the main problem is most Worcester cafe's do not have the space or fallacies and the ones that do are very expensive and would require everyone to eat. however the better plan would be to do what me and Logan have been talked privately about for a while witch is a Worcester meet on tour..

the likely hood being a walk around the Worcester river and having a picnic on the way around.. it is not set in stone though but i ask everyone these questions

would a Worcester meet on tour be a good idea?

are you up to do a walk around the river?

(possible meeting up by the fountain )

if we do a picnic what sort of picnic would you prefer a bring your own lunch picnic or a everyone brings 1 thing and we do a shared picnic?

Zenfox likes this.
  8. Zenfox

Zenfox Southeastern Train Pone

i think a tour a good idea, Planning to do something like that for the LCC meets, As for what sort of picnic it has to bring your own lunch cos you are not allow to share things.

Ace likes this.
  9. Patrick Rowberry

good piont

10. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I would be interested in this. At the moment we would have to follow the rule of six which would limit the places available, though we could always organise multiple meets if we need to.

11. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

It’s unlikely I’ll be making the journey over when the first meet or 2 happens regardless, so that’s one less person to cater for!

I won’t be comfortable catching the train until leisure travel is freely accepted on public transport again.

Patrick Rowberry and CuldeeFell like this.
  12. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to manage it but the idea is certainly worth considering, let's see if enough people are interested to make it viable

13. Patrick Rowberry

yeah if we do we must agree witch 6 and only six people can come to make sure to stick to official guidelines

14. Ace

Ace plane horse

It be tricky at first, But I think as what's been said before until travelling by train is freely accepted It be a while before I attended again

Zenfox likes this.
  15. Loganberry

@everyone Patrick asked me to delete one of his posts on this, but it seems the deletion didn't propagate immediately so some of you saw the message (or had already received it via alerts etc).

In these very unusual circumstances, since for example we would have a legal limit on numbers, maybe it would be better to discuss things mostly in private rather than out here. This is not a UK of E mod instruction to be totally silent on here, though. You can by all means say, "Logan, you're being silly" and carry on if you like!

I am absolutely still in favour of discussing future meets out here once those restrictions have been eased! :)

#2795 Loganberry, 9 April 2021
    Last edited: 9 April 2021
  16. Patrick Rowberry

if your interested in coming to a Worcester meet in the next weeks pm and we can sort something out

17. Loganberry

We can use the existing Discord (away from main online meet days) for that, I would have thought. Realistically, the only people who'll be coming to meets this early are going to be on there anyway.