1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Wut? Y Forum Ded for Episode?

Discussion in 'Official News' started by Alteran, 22 May 2016.

1. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

Hey folks! Sorry about the downtime.

Basically, the box that our website was running on had run out of disk space. We hadn't used all of our "disk quota", but that didn't matter - the machine itself had physically run out of space.

After discovering this, we sent our hosts an emergency support ticket. They should have spotted this kind of issue coming long before it became a problem, but regardless, it happened. 3 hours... 6 hours... 12 hours down the line and unfortunately they still hadn't fixed the problem nor so much as acknowledged our support ticket. An emergency support ticket, at that.

So, no longer having any faith in trusting the hosts to make it right, I purchased a new VPS with a completely different provider (one I've been using for another project with no problems), and restored last night's backup.

What does this mean for you? Well, if you are one of our resident insomniacs, then you might find that the messages you posted between the time when the backup happened and the site going down... yeah, well, they're gone. That'd be anything after 2AM UK time. Sorry about that, but you can direct your anger towards our (now former) hosts for having no professionalism whatsoever.

If you aren't one of our resident insomniacs, then you probably won't be having this problem! Enjoy!

2. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Insomniac signing in... No worrys it was probably coffee induced babble at that hour anyway. Thanks for getting her back up and running @Alteran . Owning my own servers, I can appreciate the highs and lows.

99Justin likes this.
  3. Biker-Brony

Biker-Brony 2-Wheel Meets Organizer!

No way!! My long and heart felt post about things that grow has gone awwww maybe when I'm bored I will retype it.
    I did wonder why this place had gone, I thought it would have been a hacker or something.

4. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

That's far worse when my host years ago sent out an email to everyone on one particular server saying that websites had been hacked and to change to a backup to fix it... when in reality nothing of the sort had happened.

Glad to see this place back up! Hopefully the new hosts are better.

5. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Thanks for getting it back, @Alteran :) Much appreciated!

I gathered (the old hosts) just seem to have gone quiet in the last couple of weeks and aren't responding to people (I was bored yesterday and did some searching on Twitter). I wonder what happened to them.

Anyway, there's an episode to be discussed that's long overdue.

6. Nekky

Nekky Inactive Pony

No Problem, it's understandable! :)
    was at a friends Birthday/BBQ all day & didn't get back till late, so didn't notice till i checked before bed!
    I just thought it was the TS that was down, as that's been having a'lot of connectivity issues lately, but i would assume this is why aye?

not very professional of (the old hosts), you think they would get on a emergency support ticket within a couple of hours, but 12+? seriously... :eek:
    you would at least expect a reply, saying there looking into it... :confused:
    I would no longer have any faith in them either after that, so good on ya, they don't deserve the custom...

can't be easy running a forum & community as big as this, & i think i speak for everyone when i say thanks for all the hard work all you & the forum/mod team puts in, your all awesome! ;)

I'm not very active on the forums, only really come on to check meet-ups that i attend currently.
    but when i do, i take too much time on posts & tend to leave wall's of text... :( sorry!
    can't say the time it was down affected me much personally.

Although I am quite active on the UKoE Teamspeak, if i'm at my computer, chances are you will find me on there. ;)
    ( heck most nights when i go to bed, i swap to my laptop, and have it at my bedside, & chat for longer... been told to go to bed by Stormy & the others on many occasions before now... :D )
    So is there any ETA when we'll get that back?
    all in good time of course. :)

Lets hope the new hosts are nothing like the old ones! :p
    ( & if your other project is anything to judge by, they should be aye? ;) )

Hope its all not too stressful, & that your doing well?
    Nekky! [​IMG][​IMG]

Oilyvalves likes this.
  7. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

Very poor of them. Thanks for getting it all back up for us.

8. GeodesicDragon

GeodesicDragon Prince Brublood

Tut tut. Poor show from the original hosts.

Also, the website may be back, but TeamSpeak is still down.

9. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Of course the site goes down on my day off. Of course!

CrikeyoRilley likes this.
  10. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

I moved the binaries over, but I just realised I forgot to open the port on the firewall! Whoops!

That's fixed now.

GeodesicDragon and Nekky like this.
  11. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Thus ending UKoE's simulation of "what if Derpy was admin to UK of Equestria". :p

Seriously, glad to see the site back. Hope the new hosts do a better job.

12. GameBreakerMills

GameBreakerMills Guardian of Harmony

I haven't posted in a while despite being an insomniac

CrikeyoRilley likes this.