1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Your Day Of Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Horty, 5 May 2012.

1. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Today played the NES Switch Online for Super Mario 3, and a new Switch game I downloaded yesterday, A Magical High School Girl.

On Wednesday, after the initial rush died down (eShop declining payments, pre-paid cards not working), I grabbed a Switch Online 12 Month membership because without it, I won't be able to play Splatoon 2 online, and my friend in Doom and Puyo Puyo Tetris. Yay, paid online. :\

I'm a Switch Box Live member now, so I grabbed the NES games. Today, I just played some Super Mario 3 on and off. Currently in world 3, which is a funny coincidence as I believe I'm in world 3 on the Wii U version of the game. At least from what I remember anyway. Personal note, the NES games are actually a cool thing about the service, it's like Netflix for classic games.

A Magical High School Girl, I wanted to play this because I'm a sucker for games with cute characters, and the lead girl, Akari Yamanashi, looked adorable. :3 The game is about Akari walking home from school and finding a witch, now she finds herself in another world able to use magic. It's a roguelike RPG kind of game. Only difference is there's no permadeath, and you keep your level. The interesting thing about the game is when you find an "anonymous gem" you can name it, anything. I mean anything! Naming these gems affect the magic Akari uses to fight enemies. For example, I named a spell "Rocking Rain," and Akari causes a giant boulder to fall from the sky, or calling one "Light Zap!" caused Akari to fire lightning. Really a cool game, one that may go under the radar too (what's with me finding these hidden gems).

2. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I revisited A Hat in Time, after realising there was a DLC released not long ago for it. I'm enjoying it so far, and I'd forgotten how much fun the game actually is. Unfortunately, it keeps crashing, and I'm not sure why...

I'm also pretty close to finishing New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It is still quite tough, but it seems like my recent playthrough of Super Mario World has improved my Mario skills. Or just my resilience.

And had a few online Puyo matches, but there's not really much to say about that.

3. sten whik

sten whik Space

If you're using up to date Nvidia drivers they've recently started having lots of problems.

4. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I beat Ratchet and Clank 2 tonight. I didn't even realise I was facing the final boss until the credits started rolling. It seemed a little underwhelming for a final boss, although at least they didn't effectively force you into grinding bolts for the RYNO like in the first game. I feel this game relied too much on swarming you with enemies for difficultly. I also didn't like how a lot of your weapons became rather useless into the later parts of the game. Still, I can see the precursor to a lot of mechanics that were present in the third game, which is still my favourite of the trilogy.

I've also completely a little indy game on the Switch called Qbik. It was a fun little puzzle game, and certainly worth it given it was only 90p in the Summer sale.

Now I'm just wondering what to play next. I'm tempted to try and replay Stella Glow, I'm just wary of not finishing it in time for the Pokémon Let's Go release.

GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.
  5. Snowyshy

Played some Sonic Battle while I was waiting for an appointment this morning, Magic Carpet on PC and some online DOOM for Switch with my friend this evening. Not bad considering today was a busy day.

6. Candy Yunagi

Finally got through Freedom Planet on hard mode with each character, so I've almost conquered that game now. Just a number of speedrunning targets, most of which are insane...

I'm not sure if all the Sonic comparisons are entirely fair. There are similarities, but it also takes inspiration from other games of that era. Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster, Shinobi, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage, and maybe even Mario...

7. Snowyshy

Splatoween Splatfest in Splatoon 2 today, played a couple of rounds of Turf Wars today and won a few. Also played some Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric this afternoon, decided to progress further on the save file I started awhile back.

That's correct I think. The similarity with Sonic I found is the running fast through loops and such, and the characters feel inspired by Sonic in my opinion. Milla reminds me of Cream from the Sonic Advance series. There's definitely inspiration from other games, defeating enemies and bosses works differently than Sonic. If I remember correctly, there was a shmup style level. It's been awhile, but I did play through a good amount of the game on Wii U years back.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  8. Candy Yunagi

Yeah. It looks like Sonic, but I don't think it plays like Sonic. I think Milla in particular is unique in her mechanics, but I could be wrong. The shmup sequence is kind of a prelude to a later stage, and quite a random inclusion, actually :p. But yeah, the game generally requires a cautious approach, which isn't very Sonic.

Snowyshy likes this.
  9. Snowyshy

Today, more Splatfest and the team I joined, Team Treat won. Which was odd because my team lost quite a few matches. Though I did win a few games too. Also played more Sonic Boom, and some Black Ops II in the evening because Black Ops 4 isn't on Switch or Wii U. :p What? I play COD on Nintendo consoles. :p

I was actually thinking of her character looks, yes, Milla has very unique mechanics. :D

10. sten whik

sten whik Space

I'm looking into Star Citizen and notice the account sign up has a referral box.
    Anyone here a member and want to send me a referral code?
    I'm not buying it right away but might when 3.3 comes out.

11. Snowyshy

I can open your eyes, fighting Vodor frantically, collecting mana by mana, on a magic carpet ride.

Yeah, I'm sure that's how the song goes, anyway, played the classic Bullfrog PC game Magic Carpet on and off today. Made it to level 9, the game got so hard after that. Also, those bees are nightmare fuel.

12. Candy Yunagi

I had planned to play through the whole of Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Knuckles, but my Mega Drive cut out during Launch Base Act 2. I did at least have all the Chaos Emeralds by that point, and it would've been worse if it had cut out later in the game. Also had more online Puyo matches than I can count today. I'm starting to work my way back up, and I seem to have hit something of a winning streak. Though it might just be my imagination, but it seems like competition is more fierce now, compared to a few months ago. And I had a few offline rounds of Them's Fightin' Herds. I think I'm starting to improve, but maybe not enough to take it online yet :p. I also got my first double KO in that game, which made me chuckle. "Awwwww, you both win!"

13. Snowyshy

Today's gaming, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Sonic Heroes. In Pokemon Ultra Sun, I caught five Eevees. One to keep as an Eevee, and the others to evolve later on when I get some stones. One Eevee was really bad, it was weak, but refused to get caught and I went through eight great balls to catch it. XD I also found an Igglybuff that called a Jigglypuff, and I caught it. Then I thought, "I'll catch another Jigglypuff just to use a moon stone on." I found a second Jigglypuff, and it was holding a moon stone. Seriously, what are the odds. XD So I evolved it.

In the evening, played Sonic Heroes. Just casually playing as Team Rose because I love playing as Amy. On Grand Metropolis, right before the goal for Team Rose during the grind rail section, two buildings caught my attention in the distance, it looked like it had items. Being a bit of an explorer with games, I switched to Cream and flew over. Surely enough it was a section with a switch, a pole to escape, and two 1up boxes. I've had the game since its launch in 2004, and never knew this secret existed. :D

Cendaquenta likes this.
  14. Candy Yunagi

Had more than a few matches of Puyo Puyo Tetris. The game tells me I'm now 10th best in the UK, and 884th worldwide. I'm also starting to see some familiar screen names I'm having several matches in a row with, which is nice. It mostly seems to be those of us who play Swap, since most players it seems only stick to Versus for Puzzle League matches. There's only really one other player I get fairly regularly for Fusion, and they thrash me every time :p.

15. Snowyshy

Twinkle Star Sprites and Sonic Heroes for today's gaming. Played a few Team Rose levels in Sonic Heroes, and played Twinkle Star Sprites on and off today. This was on PC via the GOG version, though I did buy Twinkle Star Sprites the day it came out on Switch.

What's Twinkle Star Sprites? Short answer, the cutest game in the world. :p Long answer, imagine taking a shoot 'em up, and adding the "send junk over to your opponent" element of Puyo Puyo, add a bunch of cute anime characters and throwing it all in a blender. The result, one of the most unique games ever created. :D It was originally for SNK's Neo Geo, but it's on PC via GOG and Steam, and more recently Switch.

#5395 Snowyshy, 9 December 2018 at 2:26am
    Last edited: 9 December 2018 at 2:31am
  16. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

PLAYING MEGA MAN 11 AT LAST!

It's solid. Beat Block, Bounce and Blast Man (in that order) so far. About the Twin Gear system - I'm managing fine without using it and I do wanna complete the game like that. At the same time, I quite enjoy the way bosses get an extra phase.