1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Your Day Of Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Horty, 5 May 2012.

1. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Playing the Dragon Age games with my girlfriend. Origins is cool but 2 is even better :)

2. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Some festive/wintry themed gaming today, or perhaps just an excuse to pick up some games I haven't in a while :p. Started with some Christmas NiGHTS; It's a shame they couldn't have re-skinned the whole game, I but I understand there were technical limitations, especially then. Spring Valley somehow looks even more beautiful decorated for Christmas, and even the boss and its music seem friendlier. Also played through Frozen Bell, since it has a similar theme. After that, I had a few offline rounds of Them's Fightin' Herds as Velvet, in her "mulled wine" colour scheme. Still not great at fighting games, but I enjoy it nonetheless. I opened Sonic Mania Plus to play time attack through Press Garden Act 2 with each character, and through the whole zone in Encore mode. Which was kind of easier, with the seven chaos emeralds already on my save file :p. For the first time in a while, I revisited A Hat in Time, for the Arctic Cruise chapter of its Seal the Deal DLC. Mostly for the second act, which is probably my favourite in the game, despite its difficulty. Finally, I decided to unwind a bit with some Audiosurf, playing through some festive tunes...

3. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Christmas gaming! Last night on Christmas Eve, played Sonic Mega Collection to play some Puyo Puyo Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic 3D Blast, and played Paladins where I unlocked a Christmas themed Evie spray thanks to the Merry Mayhem event. Which is cool since Evie is my favorite character in the game. I chose Sonic Mega Collection as my brother gave me the game Christmas 2002, so it's a fond memory. :)

Today, on Christmas day, got Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy for Switch, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Wii U. Crash brought back some memories, however Tokyo Mirage Sessions stole the show. I only played the prologue, and wow, this one is amazing so far. If there's any game that should be ported to Switch, it's Tokyo Mirage Sessions, this feels like a great game no one played because it was on Wii U. I still play my Wii U, so I'm going to take the opportunity to experience it. :D So far, it's a game I wish more people could experience.

Apologies for late response, had a bit of a family emergency last week.

Indeed Accord does sound strange, but still confirms Amitie is a bit of an air-head (lack of a better phrase). At least that's how she came off to me in Puyo Puyo Tetris

That's nothing new, it feels no different than Robotnik/Eggman anyway. XD I believe it was censorship for the name change. Chilling in Primp Town does sound better now that you mention it. XD IIRC the GBA game has a similar soundtrack to Puyo Puyo Tsuu, I've played the 3DS port and some of the music did sound familiar. Oh, I just remember, Arle's music in Puyo Pop Fever was some sort of remix from a song I heard on the GBA game. Think I'll need to pop in the 3DS game one day, it's been awhile since I've played it.

Don't worry about it, I've read bigger textwalls. :p

4. Candy Yunagi

I always think Amitie is a bit like Sailor Moon; she's not too bright, but she is full of love and compassion. I like how Arle is a bit more sarcastic, especially in her own world, and that Ringo has her quirks, despite mostly being an "everygirl".

Yeah, it doesn't quite have that connotation in Japan, it was just to make him sound dangerous/evil :p. And with irony, since he's more of a comic villain. I'd also completely forgotten that they used the Area A music from Tsuu for Arle in the WakuWaku Course, as well as for free battle. That's a really nice touch. And one of my many favourites, along with the remix of Theme of Puyo Puyo (the one from the Puyo half of Swap mode in Puyo Puyo Tetris), and basically the whole Puyo Puyo Fever soundtrack. Taisen 1 (early WakuWaku Course) and Toko 2 (Endless Puyo) in particular are really comforting.

I do need to revisit Fever. And all the others, if I can get my PSP working again...

Yeah, I really like Puyo :p.

Snowyshy likes this.
  5. Snowyshy

Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee and Smash Ultimate today. Got Pokemon Let's Go Eevee for Christmas from my brother, and I love it. The game even brought tears to my eyes as I remember this world from when I played Pokemon Blue 20 years ago. I got that game Christmas 1998, and here I am playing the adventure for Christmas 2018. :D

While doing some errands today, I picked up Smash Ultimate and already beaten it. By "beating it," I mean unlock Sonic. :p Joke aside, having a good time with it. :)

I see now. :) I like Ringo when I first played Puyo Puyo Tetris, her shocked look and thinking sounds always gets me. I actually had her as my laptop's wallpaper April last year too.

Noted on the songs, IIRC there is a way to listen to the songs in the options. That's one thing I love about older Sonic Team games, they always seem to have a way to listen to the game's soundtrack in them. Sonic Adventure - Shadow the Hedgehog have that feature as well as Puyo Pop on GBA, it's always something I use to listen to music back in the Dreamcast days (I'm also surprised Puyo Pop Fever had a DC release in Japan, then again, Puyo Puyo Tetris was also on Wii U there, I sometimes peak at Sega of Japan's website).

Hope you can revisit Fever and the rest one day.

I can tell, and it's nice. It's nice being able to talk about the series too. Thanks Candy. :D

6. Snowyshy

Spent a good chunk of the day playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Played a bit this morning, and played more in the afternoon after some lunch and chores. Completed Chapter 1 and saved Tsubasa's sister, brought some tears to my eyes. Really loving this game. Though, those level 12 trolls are stupidly strong compared to some of other enemies.

Question to any Wii U owners out there, have you played this one? I'm curious this game feels really overlooked.

7. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Action 52 NES & Action 52 Genesis

8. Candy Yunagi

In addition to some time spent playing Puyo Puyo Tetris for online matches, I also had fun with the Mega Games 6 cartridge, which I'm told was sold with my Mega Drive. Played each course in the Arcade mode of Super Hang-On. Didn't get past stage 3 in any of them, but all four music tracks are amazing. I could've spent considerably longer on the Original mode, as well. The Revenge of Shinobi remains by far the hardest game on the cartridge, and it took me all 3 continues to reach the round 2 boss, though I have reached round 3 in the past, somehow. My favourite thing about the game is the four different types in ninjitsu, all of which have very different effects.

I wanted to have a relatively quick game of Streets of Rage, so I quit at the first continue opportunity. Which got me to the round 2 boss, on the highest difficulty. Given the chance, I can reach the round 5 bosses on any difficulty, but I've only ever beaten the game on easy, and I think even that was fairly close. That is made slightly easier by a technique not explained in the game:

By holding the jump button after landing, the attack button will have the character attack behind them instead of in front. Useful for catching certain enemies off guard, and making the round 4 boss many times easier.

I tried the Duel mode of Golden Axe with each character. Reached stage 9 with Ax and Gilius, but with magic disabled, the balance between characters is kind of lost, since Tyris is best with magic, Gilius with brute strength with Ax balancing them out. I'm finding that my Columns skilled have improved from many Puyo matches, mostly in terms of being flexible with jewels I don't particularly want, and setting up chain reactions, even though that's still considerably harder in this game. Having cleared Flash Columns with 9 rows on both Novice and Amateur difficulties, I still can't clear any more than 7 on Pro. I did notice that all three tunes have two variations. One is for when the jewels are stacked really high, and I'm not quite sure what the other's for, but it seems to play when things are going well.

World Cup Italia 90 is on the cartridge, as well, but it's really not my thing...

9. Danishbrony2011

10. Candy Yunagi

Fired up my Mega Drive for a game of Rocket Knight Adventures. I beat the game on "Easy" (though calling it that is a bit of a stretch), using a couple of continues and in about 90-120 minutes.

Stage 5 is still my favourite, with its inventive gimmicks and traps, although my favourite boss fight is against Axle Gear in Stage 7. I also really like that the music for the second phase of the final boss is the regular boss music in double time. It changes the piece from slow and foreboding to frantic, better fitting the pace of the battle, as well as the climax of the game.

GatewaytoGlimmer likes this.
  11. Candy Yunagi

Sorry for the double post, but it has been a while :p.

Recently, I've decided to play through every Sonic game I own. Or at least, every one that works. Going for the most complete run possible in each case, but if I miss something, I miss it. After playing through the original trilogy and Sonic 3D on my Mega Drive, I got hold of the 2011 Sonic CD remake. It's not a perfect replication, but one has to know the original version pretty well to tell the differences. For example, I don't think the spin dash works quite the same way even when it's set to that type. I still think it's technically closer to the spin dash in the other "classic" games. I like that the game offers both soundtracks; I think the Japanese one suits the game far better, but the US one has an element of nostalgia for me, from the Sonic Gems Collection version. I do like the new Time Attack music, as well. As much as I love the Japanese title music, it does get repetitive after a few times on that screen in the original. In fact, the instrumental version of Sonic Boom (the song) there is the highlight of the US soundtrack, in my opinion. The thing that stood out most for me was the special zones, though. I couldn't believe how smoothly they run, and I actually really struggled for a while because I'm so used to it being clunky!

The inclusion of Tails seems a bit unnecessary (I really like Tails, but he probably hasn't even met Sonic at this point), but I've yet to try it. I got the good ending with all time stones this time, so I'm gonna go back and get the other achievements I missed. I'll probably have a run with Tails, as well, just to see what it's like.

Also, it seems like the eighth, hidden special zone is missing, unless it's hidden somewhere else in this version?

Crimson Dawn and Blissful690 like this.
  12. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

At the flat I'm staying, there's a GameCube complete with an amazing library of games (and one of those Smash 4 controllers, I think?). I've been playing Mario Sunshine - it's a game that gave me so much trouble as a kid, and I haven't played for ages, but now, having watched a couple speedruns and learnt some stuff, I'm having a blast and doing loads of things that I was just never able to do before. (I had a rough period of adjustment to the controls and feel to start with, but I'm getting there very quickly.)

Crimson Dawn, Parthidens and Bexy164 like this.
  13. Equestrian Idiot

Equestrian Idiot Undead Weeb

Not today, but the other day I played through The Walking Dead: The Final Season.

I'm one of those people who waits for all of the episodes in an episodic game to be out before buying and playing it. The one time I didn't was with Life is Strange: Before the Storm, and I found myself enjoying that game less as a result.

Crimson Dawn likes this.
  14. Candy Yunagi

Along with some online Puyo matches, I'm also continuing my run through my Sonic games. After playing 16 bit Sonic Spinball and Chaotix ("Knuckles' Chaotix", if we must :p), I've been Playing Sonic Gems Collection for around a week now. I'd already played through Sonic CD, so I went for the 8-bit games first.

I've heard that 8-bit Sonic 2 is decent, but I wouldn't know, since I can't beat the first boss no matter what I try. I'm no Sonic prodigy, but I've basically been playing the series my whole life, and this game still makes a total beginner out of me. 8-bit Sonic Spinball was a much more pleasant experience, though not quite as good as its 16-bit counterpart. I did manage to beat this version though, since the final boss is very different, and seemingly easier.

Of the 8-bit games, I've had by far the most fun with Triple Trouble. It's far less frustrating than the others, implementing the spin dash, not spilling every ring if you have enough and being able to momentarily curl up and avoid damage after being launched from a spring, something it even has over the 16-bit trilogy. While quite frustrating, both the method of reaching the special stages and the stages themselves are inventive, and after about 6 runs of the game in total, I finally finished with all the emeralds as both characters.

Sonic Drift 2 is a game I enjoyed a lot as a kid, and I still think it's an okay game. It's quite enjoyable to just play casually, but when seriously trying to win, it can be quite unfair. Some of the courses have fun gimmicks, though. Conversely, Tails' Skypatrol is a game I really didn't get when I was younger, like most of the 8-bit games. I think I'm starting to get it now, though, and I'm planning an attempt to beat it for the first time. I need quite a while to do that, since I don't know how long it'll take, and I don't like savestating. Tails Adventures may be another such game, but I've yet to try it as an adult.

I played through Sonic the Fighters, another game I liked as a kid. There's not much appeal for me as an adult, but the nostalgia is real. It just feels like Fighting Vipers without the things that make that game pretty great. I'll be playing through Sonic R tomorrow, which should be quite a treat for me. I had the PC version when I was very little, and I used to play it with my brother, as well as both of us singing along to the soundtrack. That was good times...

I'm trying to play through the Sonic Advance trilogy on the side, as well. It's kinda difficult, cause I need daylight to be able to see my GBA screen :p. I'm almost done with the first game, though, with only a run as Sonic still to go. After all that, it'll be time to leave the "Classic Sonic" era behind and move onto Sonic Adventure.

Blissful690 and Crimson Dawn like this.
  15. Blissful690

Blissful690 Active Pony

I know how you feel. Having no rings at all on the boss stage in the first 2 8-bit games is the worst.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  16. Candy Yunagi

Went to the National Video Game Museum in Sheffield with some of my family today, so quite a lot of gaming. Spent about 4-5 hours there, but I felt like I could've stayed longer, if they hadn't needed to close :p

I got to play the arcade version of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing a couple of times. Didn't finish either time, mostly because of the steering wheel making its own jerky movements, and I was a little worried about breaking it. I think I started to get the idea by the end of the second time, though. Played DDR twice (Dancing Stage Fusion, I think), though I had a problem with the game not sensing my steps. I think I might need to wear trainers if I go there again. It's kind of a shame that particular game had no Bambee, Papaya, Smile.dk or Aqua, though. I got to play one of the Rock Band games, for the first time since picking up a real guitar a couple of years ago. Needless to say, it's totally different, and strangely, much harder. It's quite fun, but nothing like actually feeling the steel strings vibrating under my fingers.

It was nice having a few rounds of Micro Machines V3 with my family, a game I used to have, but sadly no more. I did like playing a single stage each of 16-bit Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Mania, but with nothing unlocked, it wasn't the same as playing my own copies. It was also nice to experience the acrade TMNT game, but I feel like it's a bit overrated. That said, I didn't get to experience the 4 player co-op. I tried playing Donkey Kong for the first time in my life, but always got killed climbing up the second ladder, Didn't really get it. I tried a version of Tetris, but since I'm used to the smooth, responsive Puyo Puyo Tetris version, I didn't last too long. I thought I was quite terrible at Street Fighter, but I did reach stage 4 of Street Fighter III: 3rd strike, and got the third highest score for the day. I don't know what the difficulty setting was, though. There was a wild west themed game that was like a cross between a Contra game and the original Shinobi, but I can't remember the name. It had 7 buttons per player on the cabinet, but only two seemed to do anything.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I looked into a certain cabinet to see what it was, and discovered it was the Sailor Moon arcade beat em' up game. Though the game seemed to insist on two players, unless I just pressed the wrong button, so I had to keep moving a second sailor senshi along to scroll.

It was fun to play small section each of Snake Pass and Portal 2, games I both own, from random points the last person left them at. Snake Pass in particular was a game most people seemed to struggle a bit with. It's understandable, I also struggled with it for a while at first.

I never had a NES/Famicon, so it was nice to experience Duck Hunt for the first time, even though I lost, after hitting exactly half of the ducks. And for an obscurity, I tried a game called Hello Kitty World, even though I know nothing about that franchise (only that the protagonist is called Kitty White). It's a bit like Tails' Skypatrol, with the objective of collecting balloons without getting your own balloons popped and falling. A decent game for a few minutes, but I wouldn't want to own it.

There was this weird PS1 rhythm game, which I also can't remember the name of. It looks like it was drawn on a blackboard, and there are different obstacles which require different button presses at the right time with the music to avoid them. I think the selling point was that you could put any CD in and play it, but in that environment, I obviously played the default music. I quite liked that music, too.

There were a few other obscure games I played, too. A game called VVVVVV, a game which looks and plays much like Jet Set Willy, but reversing gravity back and forth instead of jumping. Some kind of hexagon game, where these walls close in from the six sides, and you have to move this little arrow to avoid them. It's really fast, and really hard. And a game about typing words quickly within a time limit, which is much more fun than it sounds.

It's really nice getting to use arcade cabinets, and controllers I don't normally use. I've never owned an Xbox console, for example. It was a nice arcade type environment, with a charge to get in, and all the games being free play. More than any of that, though, I felt like I was totally free from my anxiety for those 4-5 hours. I was just free to be my weird, quirky self without having to worry about what anyone else thought. It might've been kind of nice to enjoy a game of something with a stranger, but no one wanted to disturb anyone else who was playing alone, including myself, and quite understandably.

17. Blissful690

Blissful690 Active Pony

From that description alone, I can tell you now that game is definitely Vib-Ribbon, which is a game that was released exclusively in Japan and here in Europe.

Candy Yunagi likes this.
  18. Candy Yunagi

Yes, Vib-Ribbon! I knew I'd know it when I saw it again!

19. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

I uh got Okami HD on the switch and god I love this game

20. Danishbrony2011