1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Your Day Of Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Horty, 5 May 2012.

1. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Instead of getting annoyed at teammates who land where everyone else is going in Apex Legends, I decided to uninstall Apex, and go back to my online gaming roots by playing Counter-Strike. Specifically CS:GO. Still way more fun than both the battle royale games I've tried. Not good as I haven't played in a long time, still very fun playing traditional Counter-Strike. It amazes me that people still play a classic online game like CS, even if it is its modern version.

I take back about liking Apex Legends a lot, bad teammates ruined the one battle royale game I like. It did introduce me to Titanfall 2 however. :)

Parthidens likes this.
  2. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've been playing through Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fuelled and managed to unlock all the nitro bonus items available for this GP. I also bought the Mad Scientist Ripper Roo outfit which is a good laugh. It is irksome that Activision are greedily sneaking microtransactions into the game post launch. I'm just glad I'm earning enough Wumpa coins through online racing at a nice pace. I just hope they don't mess with coin payouts. The game itself is a lot of fun though.

I've also tried the Mario Tennis Aces trial for the Switch whilst it was available to Switch Online users. I'm quite impressed with the game and will likely pick it up sometime soon, even if I did get stuck in the story mode on a Piranha Plant mission.

Finally I played a little Mario Maker 2 tonight, and I'm amazed the level I posted still has 0 clears! :eek:

The level code is 7JB-JS1-D1H if anyone here wants to try to be the first to beat it.

#5442 Robshi, 16 August 2019
    Last edited: 18 August 2019
  3. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

Started Katamari Damacy (on Switch) and quite like it so far. I put some first impressions here.

4. Snowyshy

Some PC games today. Played Wing Commander Armada with my friend, thanks to GOG's DosBox tool, my friend and I were able to do some battles online. This afternoon, Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies (that odd Valve licensed and Nexon developed Counter-Strike game that's on Steam) to check out the new mode added to game, and had some fun with that. This evening, a few casual games of CS:GO.

5. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

I had been meaning to get back to Sonic Heroes, but my PS2 has decided to be a diva and refuse to read any discs. So for now, at least, I'm reliving some PS1 games from my childhood. I tried playing The Lion King: Simba's mighty adventure, but it just didn't hold my interest for any more than about half an hour. Crash Bash is actually the only Crash game I've ever had, but I always enjoyed it. Even so, it's less fun alone, and I think I was too tired to deal with its insane difficulty last night. So tonight I've been playing Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness. It's kind of a cross between classic Pac-Man gameplay and Soukoban, that game where you have to push crates into the right place, but you can't pull them. That, with some light action elements and timed puzzles. It's maybe not as exciting as some other games, but it's pretty relaxing right now.

So many others I could revisit if I get time... Spyro the Dragon, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Ape Escape, Rascal, A Bug's Life, Micro Maniacs, even Tekken 2, if that still works. Maybe they're not all generally considered classic Playstation games, but really, any game you have as a kid becomes a classic when you're an adult.

6. Cuttleshock

I started and finished Bomberman Quest for the GBC, getting 100% within 7-8 hours. After looking forward to trying this game for a couple of years, I'm just really glad to have gotten round to it!

It's fine. It does some things nicely, some poorly, and I found it overall a fun experience - largely because it didn't overstay its welcome. Having absolutely no repeat enemies is a pretty neat aspect, and most of them are fairly unique.

Having played this and Story DS, I'm all the more impressed at how good Tournament turned out. Both Quest and Story are flawed in a number of ways, and it seems that Tournament really gets the best from both to make something well above either. Or, at least, that's how I remember it...

Blissful690 and Candy Yunagi like this.
  7. Snowyshy

While I was out, I checked my local Five Below (a store in the US that sells stuff for $5 or less), and surprisingly found Yo-Kai Watch for $5. So decided to buy it and gave it a go. I like it so far. I knew what to expect gameplay-wise as I had the demo downloaded, but I'm enjoying the full game so far. Also, friend and I played some more Wing Commander Armada online using GOG's DOSBox tool.

8. EquestrianEmperor

EquestrianEmperor Rock it, Scootaloo!

My typical day consists of Breakfast Shower Overwatch Lunch Overwatch Dinner Overwatch Bed.

And the cycle repeats it.

9. Cuttleshock

I completed Mega Man X6 today!

Coming in, I had heard a lot of negative things about it, in particular its not-fun difficulty - and, like, given that this is Mega Man we're talking about, and a game that mostly core fans would play (being far into the series), that had to be saying something. The stats certainly reflect this for me: X5 took me longer than any game before to beat first time, around 15 hours, in spite of the effective infinite lives (so no having to trudge through entire levels every couple of attempts at a boss), and X6 was more like 20 hours.

People also criticise the departure from the series' original story vision - it was wrapped up nicely at the end of X5 and you can see in X6 how it kind of forces a continuation, actively contradicting one or two things from the ending sequence of X5. I agree that X5 ended nicely, but honestly I'm not averse to just accepting the canon of X6. I like its story being rather different to the previous entries, and I'm a fan of the way it builds on some characters, as well as the cool villain in Gate.

It was certainly a frustrating game in places, with some poor trial-and-error level design, and one boss in particular that I felt was just way too much, but overall? I loved it. I absolutely loved it, and I'd probably place it as my second-favourite X game, behind X2.

The boss fights are (with a couple of exceptions) unique and super-enjoyable. They make use of your full range of movement, some requiring reactions, others timing, and the ones with cramped screens do a good job with them (see Blaze Heatnix, Infinity Mijinion, the final boss). The third endgame boss lines up among my all-time favourite fights, alongside the final bosses of X2 and X4. I also like the better implementation of 'level' progression that was introduced as a cool but mostly meaningless gimmick in the previous game.

The stages feel like they have a strong identity. This might be giving them too much credit, but, for example, the endgame stages - those are for me one of the weakest aspects of X4, in that I forgot them entirely pretty much right after finishing the game. X5 did well there, as did X6. The regular stages... I have no good explanation as to why I like them so much. There's something I find cosy about them, as weird as that seems? At any rate they've got great visuals.

The cosy descriptor goes for the game as a whole, too. The cast of characters feels tight compared to X4 and X5, likely because there aren't any new good guys introduced this time - we know them all already. Moreover, the feeling of the Maverick Hunters being badly decimated only contributes to that - the level select screen is more abstract than those of X4 or X5, so you lose the feeling of being part of a bit organisation in exchange for something more personal. There's more of a feeling of exploration encouraged in the stages, see linearity and split structure of X4 or time pressure of X5. It feels more like X1-3 in these ways.

One thing that I think most can agree on is the strength of the musical score. I'd go as far as to say it might be my favourite Mega Man soundtrack, period. There's not a weak track in there, and there's so much variety!

There's some stuff I didn't touch on here, some negative, some positive (big fan of the upgrade system!), but the above reflects my thoughts pretty well. X2 wins out for me largely by virtue of not having the sour spots that X6 does, in addition to doing everything else well, but this game has really secured a place in my heart.

10. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

Since my PS2 seems to be refusing literally any disc I give it, I had to skip over the rest of Sonic Heroes, and all of Shadow the Hedgehog, at least for the time being. Since I had an unfortunate period when I made the mistake of letting other people tell me what I should like, the next Sonic game I have after that is Generations.

I do still love Sonic Heroes, in spite of some problems it has. It might not seem like it at first, but I'd argue it's more of a return to the original formula after Sonic Adventure 2. Seven zones with three acts each in all but name, the third act being just a boss, chaos emeralds being won in special stages instead of used as plot devices, a similar but different experience in each stage with different teams... it's starting to sound like a Sonic Advance game, in that way.

I like the team dynamics, but there's not too much reason to use a particular character outside of the sections where they're needed. Speed characters don't get many opportunities to make use of their top speed (There should probably have been more speed shoes, not least because the music for that is awesome), fly characters don't feel as light, agile and free as they would alone, and power characters almost don't do much, even though they're probably the most different to each other than any of the other two classes. I do kinda wish there could've been more variation in the characters. I think the speed characters do that quite well, but in their other appearances, Cream could fly less proficiently than Tails but had Cheese to make up for it, Rouge was a stealthy double agent and Charmy could fly freely but that made him vulnerable, yet all of them play like Tails. Knuckles was an explorer, Omega's predecessor was more of a marksman and Vector could get around pretty well, but they all play like Big. There are some camera and control issues as well, which range from inconvenient to Sonic rocketing into oblivion.

I think the way the stages are designed differently for each team is one of my favourite things about the game. Having Team Rose as the easy mode, Sonic as normal, Dark as hard and Chaotix as a kind of alternative, mission mode. I also really like how their second missions reflect that; Team Sonic is all about speed, Dark is about facing hoards of robots, Rose is about teaching beginners to be fairly cautious until you know the stages (hence the ring collecting), and Chaotix have even more random second missions. And other little details, like how Amy's tornado hammer is the only variation of that move where the whirlwind moves from its starting position, and Espio turning invisible, which is possibly the most awesome thing in the game, and maybe even one of the most awesome things in the series for me. Even their team blasts play the their strengths, and fit their characters. It took me years to figure out that Sonic could light speed attack many times while the gauge emptied, that Shadow's chaos control actually stopped the timer, and that Team Chaotix can gain an absolutely ridiculous amount of rings with theirs. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a spin off game about Espio, maybe combining Sonic and Shinobi elements. Maybe even involve Rouge; that would make for a bizarre pairing :p.

Sonic Generations took me a few days to get through everything again. That's pretty good, but there's not really enough to keep me there for absolute weeks, like both Adventure games. For Modern Sonic, I do like the boost gameplay, though for the reasons I've said before, I've only been able to experience that in Generations and Forces so far. I've never played Colours for comparison, but the 2D section feel a bit out of place to me. there's nothing wrong with it, but sometimes it makes me wish the stages could've been totally fleshed out in full 3D. There is nice variation in routes, and it's really nice to see stages from the original trilogy re-imagined like this. The Classic stages are good, but... something feels off. For a recreation of the experience of the original trilogy, CD and the Advance trilogy, there's some stuff missing. I feel like it shouldn't take him two whole seconds to get up after taking damage, spin dashing is far less nuanced (there used to be a big difference between pressing it once and revving it up eight times), and monitors apparently break from being walked into. The stage design doesn't really feel like those games either, despite borrowing a few gimmicks from the Advance games. Another thing I feel is missing is an incentive to carefully explore the stage as I go, without needing to keep hold of 50 rings for a special stage, or find a giant ring. There are the red rings, but once you find them, they're gone. Maybe if they respawned, but translucent?

Overall, the game is a bit on the easy side, I feel. I did enjoy the thrill several times of spindash/jumping or boost/jumping at just the right time, and 20 seconds worth of stage just passing in a blur. It's possible to blast through each stage, but only if you know exactly where to jump; you can't just spindash/boost everywhere and expect to win. Incidentally, Crisis City was still the only stage to give me any real trouble in either form. Most of the challenges added some fun difficulty, but others took it a bit too far. I do love how relentlessly cheerful Rooftop Run is, and even the original Seaside Hill is among my favourite Sonic scenery. It looks even more lovely here, even though it obviously needed quite a heavy redesign. It looks especially beautiful at night in that one challenge. I did a run after everything else, using the endless boost skill, which actually made it harder, though sadly all the others seem to make it even easier than it already is. Boosting through Green Hill was great fun, but Crisis City was actually really tense, something a Sonic game hasn't made me feel in a while. Maybe I'm just a hardcore and I don't even know it :p.

Of course, the references are a big part of the appeal, and I find the musical details especially fascinating. Aside from the main stage themes and those unlockable, I hear Balloon Park from Sonic 3, Super Sonic Racing, and even a beautiful instrumental version of You're My Hero in the challenges. I've heard people say that the S rank music is a remix of It Doesn't Matter version 1, but I really don't hear it. In fact, I think it sounds much closer to Pleasure Castle from Sonic Adventure. More specifically, the last part, before it loops back to the start. I'm not sure about the D-A rank music, but I could swear I know it, and the same is true for the other music when Classic Sonic competes with a supporting character in some way in a challenge. I don't know if anyone else knows what they are? I think my Sonic skills must have improved since last time; Egg Dragoon didn't give me anywhere near as much trouble, and I finally beat the hard mode version. Finally beat Time Eater on hard mode, as well, which took almost half an hour, and almost 12 minutes on my last attempt, when I finally discovered the strategy for keeping the ring count up. I guess that's why they call it Time Eater :p.

Blissful690 likes this.