1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Zootopia (aka Zootropolis)

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Leon K Fox, 29 March 2016.

1. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

This film took an additional three weeks to be released in this country, though advance screenings did take place almost a full week before it came out and on Thursday the 24th. I've now seen the film three times and two of those were from before the film was techichally out here, and a fourth is sure to follow with another friend of mine who hasn't seen the film yet.

I think that should be a testament to my enjoyment of the film. What's funny though is that I paid little to no attention to it during production or the lead up to its US release as Zootopia. I thought it looked like another run of the mill CGI talking animal comedy from the trailer I saw (though the toxicity of the comments sections for it being a "Furry Movie" were not lost on me, which is odd since this is far from the first film about anthropomorphic animals) but then the reviews started coming out and I was floored by how well recieved it was, the particular one that brought it to my attention was Chris Stuckmann's since his surprise at his enjoyment of the film echoed my own when I saw it a few weeks later.

It's hard to go into why I loved it specifically without spoiling it and a film reviewer I am not, but suffice to say it's far deeper than the trailers would lead you to believe. It's the best film Disney have made in years in my personal opinion, possibly decades even.

Has anyone else here watched it, and what did you think of it? I'd love to see some discussion start here (though natrually use Spoiler tags since it's only been out here officially for a few days)

2. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

this is actually the first film ive watched in quite some time went to see the film with Ripp on the 19th really did enjoy it characters were good and it was pretty clever with its jokes, though i found some scenes were a little predictable, but that doesnt mean its not a really good film.

3. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I've been following the film pretty much since the first trailer came out and I always knew I was going to love it. Went to see it on Thursday and I most certainly did. It is a great film. Just about every element, big and small, works perfectly - some of my favourite bits were in the tiny details. Also, Judy Hopps is probably one of my favourite Disney characters of recent years. :D

4. Leon K Fox

Alright, what I'm about to post is probably going to seem super rambly, but it's been on my mind ever since I saw Zootropolis for the first time almost two weeks ago and I need to get it out there in some form or another, and while I'm going to try and avoid them I may absent mindedly slip a spoiler or two in here, not likely but you've been warned regardless.

People often draw comparisons between this film and Robin Hood and to be fair, it isn't hard to see why given that both films are both populated by anthropomorphic animals and both have a fox as a main character and a number of design elements of Nick Wilde's are clearly inspired by those of Robin Hood, it isn't a one to one transfer but the inspiration is clearly there.

Yet, there is one Disney film that I feel it has far more in common with, thematically at the very least, and that's The Fox and the Hound. True, this film does also star a fox (albeit a quadruped) but that's not why Zootropolis reminds me of that film.

Both films are ripe with social commentary, in Zootropolis it's more apparant (yet also much more topical for the time period it was released in, or has been) something Robin Hood for all of its charm really isn't.

Fox and the Hound has two best friends torn apart by social conditioning after starting off naive and innocent and this very social conditioning is what drives the whole story, and it has a very somber ending where they don't remain best buddies but simply part on good terms, albeit with their friendship strained by the events that transpire, all from external forces beyond their control.

It makes one wonder what it is that makes tackling themes such as these more enticing (and the ones Zootropolis deals with) when the characters are all sentient animals. Fox and the Hound was always my favourite Disney film because of these elements, and then I saw Zootropolis which has elements of social conditioning, racism, scare mongering, drugs and political manipulation, those last two especially caught me off guard.

I didn't think Disney would ever make a film of that ilk ever again since Fox and the Hound came out decades ago and in the grand scheme of things didn't do all that well and isn't talked about much these days, but I'm glad that they did. It's an even better and deeper film than Fox and the Hound,probably in large part due to its aftermentioned timely release.

Anyone else think this, or is it just me? Wouldn't be the first time, I don't know many people who can even remember The Fox and the Hound if they ever saw it.

But I needed to get this out of my system, rambly and incoherent as it probably is in getting my mind grapes out there x3

#4 Leon K Fox, 1 April 2016
    Last edited: 3 April 2016
  5. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Really loved this film, I don't know what it is but it seemed a lot easier to grow affection for these characters than human characters, I was totally rooting for Judy right from the beginning :)

#5 MCtoastie, 3 April 2016
    Last edited: 3 April 2016
  6. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I only have this to say about it right now:

[​IMG]

I'm shipping bunnies and foxes. I guess I must be a furry :p

7. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Went to see it for the second time yesterday. Still excellent. :D

Cloudane and MCtoastie like this.
  8. Leon K Fox

I've spent roughly £40.65 on cinema tickets for #Zootropolis, and £80.11 on merchandise (So far) Thats £110.76

Yes, I am a fan of this film

MCtoastie, Cloudane and CrikeyoRilley like this.
  9. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Money well spent :D

Leon K Fox and CrikeyoRilley like this.
  10. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Need to go and watch this, debating it on Friday if it's still out.

MCtoastie likes this.
  11. Cloudane

It's only been out a couple of weeks, so plenty of life in it yet I think :)

Leon K Fox likes this.
  12. Leon K Fox

Another ramble incoming, but this has been on my mind as of late and this as good a place as any to post it, SPOILER WARNING!

I've been thinking about the parallels between Judy's stage play at the start of the film and the press conference scene from later on. There are a number of quite interesting similarities between them. The way they are presented in an almost educational manner, the way she speaks of their heritage from thousands of years ago, and their "priminitive savage ways".

I'm sure this was intentional but it's fascinating to see how different the reactions from both audiences are. The naivety of a kid makes her words seem innocent and charming, but as an adult her words carry far more weight, which is only amplified by her position as a spokeswoman for the police at that moment, hence the ramifications that follow in the coming week.

MCtoastie and Cloudane like this.
  13. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I have finally seen Zootopia, I don't care that it's called Zootropolis over here I'm just going to call it Zootopia. But yes I have finally seen the film today in Reading at the Vue cinema at Lakeside. And it was great it was really a lot of fun to sit through and now I get why people really found this movie amazing. And I do think that the movie itself hits home the message of fulfilling your dreams and sometimes the world can be quite cruel to you and not care about you in the slightest and I think that message is something we can all relate to there because we've all been there at some point in our lives really. Brilliant film, amazing set up defiantly worth a watch there.Though my antics in an almost empty screening room was quite amusing. :p

14. Cloudane

The American ethos was strong again :p (Leave your parents, strike out, live on your own even if it's terrible and the only room you can afford is basically a cardboard box, etc)
    I dunno, maybe they're right. I'm just no good at that kind of thing.
    Either way it was a brilliant movie with lots of very genuine messages and a lot of humour! Instantly became a favourite, and I'm itching to buy the Bunny-Ray.

MCtoastie likes this.
  15. CrikeyoRilley

Aye, watched this last Friday at the Trafford, pre meet. Loved it, glad I got the courage to go and watched it. Anthropomorphic cartoons have been what I grew up with and currently the same passion is with me in its many different forms. Witty, touching and adorable.

Sent from those bushes opposite your house.

MCtoastie likes this.
  16. Leon K Fox

I have now seen Zootropolis 11 times and have also bought Nick and Judy plushies from the Disney store in the Trafford Centre. I need to recalculate my overall spending pertaining to the film.

Slightly off topic, but I wouldn't have said that was an exclusively American mindset, living with your parents (regardless of your financial situation, income etc) is seen as taboo by a lot of people in the UK as well. Perhaps not as predominantly but I've heard it be looked down upon enough to notice it.

17. Cloudane

Yeah probably shouldn't stereotype our US friends so much :p True that it applies here too (if not always as strongly) - I have not so long ago had an ex next door neighbour doing the whole "what?! You're still living with your parents at your age, seriously?!" thing as well.

Hey, make moving out actually affordable without sacrificing all the things I love (being able to afford technology, a few pints in the pub, pony conventions etc) and one day I might consider it :p

Leon K Fox likes this.
  18. Leon K Fox

Whilst BUCK (my first convention) may have been a pony con, that didn't stop Zootropolis fun from occuring.

Got my Nick Wilde plushie signed by Nicole Martel (bluekoinu) after coincidentally conversing with her on a non pony Facebook page, and got some photos taken with promotional displays at the Odeon in the Trafford Centre ^^

19. CrikeyoRilley

Her Tynder character was super cute.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

20. Cloudane

Wicked :D

I felt a bit sorry for her and the other VIPs with us making a massive line for eeyup guy (<3) and them sat twiddling their thumbs wondering where the love is. Good on you! Also had I known she was a massive FF fan, I might have dug out some kind of FF merch for her to sign :p